Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which lightweight sporter/tactical stock for Rem 700 in 300 RUM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Which lightweight sporter/tactical stock for Rem 700 in 300 RUM?

I'm tired of shooting my 300RUM factory Rem 700 stock prone. Specifically, the buttpad on a sporter has too little contact with the shoulder when shooting prone--doesn't come up high enough for enough shoulder contact. Shooting a well set up 338AX with tactical stock really had shown the glaring issues with this particular 300 RUM, Rem 700 stock pron.

What is a cheaply priced, lightweight, kind of a combo tactical/sporter stock with more emphasis on the tactical than sporter that's in stock somewhere/quick to get?

Thanks,

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which lightweight sporter/tactical stock for Rem 700 in 300 RUM?

Bell Carlson Medalist M40 Varmint/Tactical Vertical Grip Rifle Stock

Anybody using this to have a better platform for shooting prone? Comments, thoughts? This is about as much as I'm wiling to spend on this at the moment. The particular rifle is not a huge priority for me.

Another I like more is the Greybull Precision stock. If I was starting a lightweight build, I think this could easily be my goto stock: http://greybullprecision.com/index.p...&id=6&Itemid=6

Comments?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Wow...I really thought I might get some helpful input here...but nothing yet. Is there not anyone else that has any ideas?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

What about this one??

BLACKHAWK! Axiom U/L Rifle Stock - BLACKHAWK!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 300 RUM win model 70 in a McMillan fiberglass stock called the Hunter. It has a monte carlo cheek piece and a palm swell. I had them add a decelerator pad. It weighs around 2 1/4 lbs. Whole rifle weighs 9 1/4 lbs. Currently shooting the 230 gr Berger hybrid at 2975 fps. This stock works well for me and reduces felt recoil even prone. I liked the stock so much I had one made for a Ruger M77 tang safety.

McMillan Hunting Stocks, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Hunting & Sport Stocks
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, guys, for the ideas. I think I may now be leaning towards the Greybull Precision stock, even though it's a bit more cash. Anybody know if Greybull is 'still kickin'? Who is it that makes Greybull stocks?

AZ, what's your 230g Berger/300RUM recipe? I've got some 230s on the way for this rifle (26" barrel) and am planning on using Retumbo and Fed 215Ms to light it off, but am getting 2993fps with the 210g VLD, so I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near your velocity.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

I have the 230s seated to fit and feed from a wyatt's mag box, can't tell you the distance to the rifling. Worked up to 102 gr of RL-33. 102 had a hint of bolt lift so I backed down to 100 grs.

RL-33 is slower than Retumbo. Based on the four cartridges I tried with RL-33, a max load of Retumbo is a good starting point for loading RL-33. Work up from there.