Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

lightweight rifle action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Gold Member

Re: lightweight rifle action

You can certainly get under 8lbs scoped with a Remington Action or many other actions. Titanium would be the way to go! Just finishing a .270 WSM, should be well under 6 lbs with out the scope, just over 7 lbs scoped. Now the hard choice, SCOPE?

Remington Action, Steel
Lightened Action and fluted bolt
Lone Wolf Stock
26 inch Chrom Moly Douglas (not fluted)
EGW Aluminum Base 20 MOA
EGW Aluminum 1 ich rings
Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 PM

I don't have specific individual weights anymore but I had a .257 Ackley Improved built for me about 12/13 years ago and with its scope, it weighs a little under 7 lbs. fully loaded -- with it's sling!

I used a Remington Model 7 action which was the lightest action I could find at that time and it's plenty long enough for 100 gr bullets seated to touch the lands.

Then I had a 22" Pac-nor barrel contoured to the lightweight Winchester featherweight contour installed and bedded into a Brown Precision poundír stock. The stock weighs 16 oz. with studs. I bought the S&K bases and rings because they were all steel and were the lightest and strongest I could find. I then mounted the Leupold 3x9 Compact scope.

The scope isnít as bright or as sharp as the Leupold Vari X III 2.5 to 8 that I have but is a little lighter and has never failed me. Iíve never fired anything but 100 gr. bullets with it but regularly get a chronographed 3100 fps with ĺ inch groups. I can get chronographed velocity up to 3200 fps but wanted to be a little easier on the barrel so loaded down a bit using 48.5 grs of IMR 4350 to get the 3100 fps. My cases are fireformed W/W cases and I use Fed 210 primers or Win WLR primers Ė the primer brand doesnít seem to make any difference.

Iíve tried various 100 gr bullets and have settled on Hornady Spire Points but it shoots 100 gr Sierra (SP and SPBTís) and Speer SPís equally as well.

Iíve got other rifles but seem to always find myself hunting with this one because of its light weight. The longest shot Iíve ever made with it was on an antelope at an estimated 500 yds but that was before I had a rangefinder so that was just an estimate. Last year I shot an antelope at a lasered 286 yards.

If I ever had to sell my rifles it would be the very last one Iíd sell because itís my favorite!

Good luck on your build, mine is the sweetest rifle I own!

Crockett
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

How about some pictures of that rifle.