Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lightweight Bipods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Bronze Member

Lightweight Bipods

I have a Blaser K95 single shot break open in 6.5x57R. Not exactly your standard US long range rifle but pretty much accepted kit for alpine chamois and mouflon. With a 26" barrel and the ability to launch a 100gr bullet at 3,300fps and a 120 at 3,000fps it weighs a tad under 7lbs loaded with scope and sling.

I would like the ability to use a bipod but do not want to use something as heavy as a standard Harris. Does anyone make a lightweight one and if so how does it attach and does it shoot consistantly?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lightweight Bipods

Think I would would look at the Stoney Point folding shooting sticks or the telescoping shooting bipod they make. The folding shootig sticks basically allow from knee high to about 8-10" and the telescoping bipod is from about knee high to stand up.

BH
Old 05-11-2004, 08:46 AM

Re: Lightweight Bipods

Snipe-pod, makes a very lightweight bi-pod.
Do a search and you should come up with their website. Make by Kramer Designs I believe.
I have one.
Positives are they are very light and carry on a belt pouch. 8oz complete I believe.
Easy to attach to the clip that is mounted on your sling stud.
Adjustable on every axis so are good for uneven terrain.

Negatives I do not like the way the mounting clip attaches to the sling stud. It seems it could come loose and lose the small pin that keeps it on. (this has never happened to me). Not as steady as the Harris Bipod. But that is the price you pay for lightweight and being able to move your rifle in any direction for the shot after it is mounted on the bipod.

My rifle shoots just as well off the Snipe-pod as it does off the Harris. Which is the same aimpoint as when I am shooting off a bag. My rifle is free floated and very stiff H-S Precision stock.