Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Light Weight Backpacking Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Light Weight Backpacking Rifle

I have been thinking of building a light weight backpacking rifle for a while. In my mind it need to be short action and a short barrel with the smallest contour possible. I am thinking bullet weight around 140-165 grain. Which puts me around a 6.5mm-7mm diameter. I know that Kirby built an xp100 pistol that had an 18" barrel that pushed a 140 gr 6.5 in a WSM at 2900 fps. If I go with the 7mm WSM and a 20" 3 groove Pac-Nor barrel do you guys think I can get over 3000 fps? Also is there any 7mm WSM wildcats that increase the case volume to take more powder?

Thanks for any info you guys have.

SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Light Weight Backpacking Rifle

I was going after a vary simular thing three years ago, here's what i came up with:

trued model 7
shaved down reciever
fluted bolt, drilled handle
H S stock (heavy, but very stable)
christensen carbon wrapped barrel 24"(shilen)
titanium brake
tally ultra-lite 30mm rings
swarovski 3-12x50 tds (first focal plane)
270 wsm running 140 accubonds AT 3200fps
total wieght=7.35 lbs FULL OF BULLETS AND A SLING
shoots pretty good (3.5"at 600yards, havent papered it any farther out) for being light, I've shot 4 animals at over 600 yards, 1 shot kills.could have dropped 1lbs+ by using a different stock but I already had it.

Its not exactly what what you asked for,but its what cured my problem

INGOTOUTDOORS
Old 01-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

If this is deer, sheep, bighorn rifle a Kimber Montana in 260 Remington might be worth a look. The 130 grain Berger and Scirrocco have .595 and .575 BC respectively and can be pushed to nearly 2900 FPS. These rifles are 5 1/4 lbs and the three I have shot have been accurate.

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy

This allows for a 6 lbs scoped rifle. The rifle only is in the $1,100.00 price range.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info guy. I have heard good things about the kimber but I would like to build this rifle myself. This is my second build and I learn new things everytime.

Any info on the original questions of speed or wildcats.

Thanks
SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

FWIW, the weight difference between a LA and a SA is only 3 ounces.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Hey, all the little spots to save some weight all add up. 3 oz here 3 oz there and pretty soon you have saved a half a pound. If I can get away with a short action I would go for it.

SES50

Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

Here is what I have been thinking about building. Starting with a trued Rem 700 SA in .473 bolt face (ADL model for its blind mag), add a 20-inch sporter weight barrel chambered in .338 Federal (or even .338 Federal AI if there is such a thing), a McMillan Edge ultralight stock, and topped with Talley 1-piece lightweight mount and compact scope with a bullet drop indicators on the reticle (make and model of scope undecided at this point). This may not be the caliber of choice for many, but it would be suitable for large game (elk, bear, moose) and should be a package that is still shootable (moderate recoil), yet packable, and effective up to medium range.