Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Light Rifle Choice: Savage, T3 Lite or Forbes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Light Rifle Choice: Savage, T3 Lite or Forbes

I want a light rifle for hunting. I am looking primarily at the following in 30-06 so i can drive bigger bullets if I ever want to:

Savage light weight hunter: $900 6#
Melvin Forbes 24B: $1300 5.5#
Tikka T3 Lite $600 6.2-6.3#

The Tikka always shoot well, are smooth plus 600$ but have a rather cheap stock!

The Savage will usually shoot great can be re-barreled easily if need be and trigger better than many factory offerings. Downside stock is wood.

The Melvin Forbes 24B is semi custom with timney trigger and awsome synthetic stock. Down side $1300.

I could outfit Tikka with $700 scope and be less than the Forbes.

Give me your 2 cents of what you have seen on these guns. Especially if you have shot both side by side

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Light Rifle Choice: Savage, T3 Lite or Forbes

T3 hands down...it is an accurate rifle right out of the box....I think there is no better deal then the tikka t3

Here is my group from my my last week shooting some hand loaded bergers...but it will shoot the factory ammo just as well.

good luck which ever way you go..
Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
I want a light rifle for hunting. I am looking primarily at the following in 30-06 so i can drive bigger bullets if I ever want to:

Savage light weight hunter: $900 6#
Melvin Forbes 24B: $1300 5.5#
Tikka T3 Lite $600 6.2-6.3#

The Tikka always shoot well, are smooth plus 600$ but have a rather cheap stock!

The Savage will usually shoot great can be re-barreled easily if need be and trigger better than many factory offerings. Downside stock is wood.

The Melvin Forbes 24B is semi custom with timney trigger and awsome synthetic stock. Down side $1300.

I could outfit Tikka with $700 scope and be less than the Forbes.

Give me your 2 cents of what you have seen on these guns. Especially if you have shot both side by side
Friend of mine got T-3 light in 300WSM and I load for it great shooting rifle. I don't like the enclosed bolt you got to drop magazine just to unload one round but he likes it so that's whats important.

Only thing I know about savage rifles is what I read so no help there.

My wife shoot a Forbes Model 24 in 280AI and if that new 24B rifles shots half as good as my wife's well worth the money. If history repeats itself what was paid for my wife's rifle I can sell it today for that price so hopefully those new rifles will hold their value.

Well good luck
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Platinum Member

If you can buy a Forbes 24b for $1300 jump on it and sell it easily got $1800-2000 and buy one of the other
Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Forbes are the same price here, but they aren't doing any lefty are they?? Not much value to me then. I'll buy a righty, but it's for a truck or beater gun for the most part. Tikka for me; the t3 ss lh is just under $700 here and they shoot well.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Bronze Member

I have never owned a Tikka but I'm also thinking about buying one and everything I have heard about them is extremely positive. I own a savage axis in a .223 and being one of their cheaper guns it shoots very very well and I am pleased with it. Even so I would still go with the Tikka. Happy hunting and good luck on your decision!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Tikka all the way! Mine is a T3 Lite stainless. Bone stock, except for a little lightening of the factory adjustable trigger. Light, smooth, and accurate. Oh, and cheap!
270 WSM load results