Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Light Mountain Rifle Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Re: Light Mountain Rifle Ideas

Lets get things back on track!

I built a 7mmWSM on a stiller short action, Pac Nor lightweight contour, with an edge ultralight stock. 6lbs all up with a 4.5x14x40, target elevation turret installed, and talley LW's. My 1st goal with this gun was the weight, second how it shoots. Not specifically built as a LR gun per se, but it will get it done out to 600 if no other shot presented itself.

Recoil is manageable, but you definately feel it, off the bench anyhow! 140 Bergers at 3250 fps.

This gun holds .5 moa out to 300 yards, and gives up a bit past 300 out to 600, still around 1 moa ( +-) at 600 yards. Furthest I have shot it is 600 yards.

In field/mountain conditions there is no way a 6 lb gun will shoot with a 12 lb gun past 300 yards, especially shooting off a pack, some wind, laboured breathing, general hunting conditions.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

I would stick with a regular stainless REM700 action and skeletonize it rather than the titanium. The weight savings between the two is not enough to warrant the cost. What money you save between the two actions you can put towards a lighter stock etc. Why not stick with the same caliber as your long range gun so you can use the same brass, primers etc?
I have a 338L built lightweight and it shoots quite nice. I don't think I could shoot it past 600yards for reasons AndyW has stated in his post but it fits the job I built it for. It does have a pretty good thump to the shoulder but it is manageable. So far it only takes one shot to do the job so I can deal with the recoil.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Tikka T-3 light. I think they weigh about 6-3/8 pounds in magnum. Great trigger, inexpensive and extremely accurate. I just hunted all over Alaska with mine in 338 winchester and was a pleasure. Deadly on big game to a half mile. I have a 13.9 ounce swarovski 4-12 on it and with 4 ounce bipod I am hunting at about 7-1/2 pounds. I have taken grizzly, sheep, moose and caribou with the 338 winchester in Alaska with good success. This is the best carry rifle I have ever used for the weight and performance.
I have two of these in 7mm Rem Mag. For their cost, I tend to agree that the Tikka T3's are hard to beat. With some careful load development, one of mine retains sufficient accuracy to engage large game out to 1000 yds. The other is more of a 800 yd rifle.

In spite of what was mentioned earlier - and since deleted - moose are the easiest 'common' game in Alaska to harvest at extended ranges. They've got like a 20-24" by 24" kill zone. And they aren't particularly tough. A single expanding bullet through the boiler room is all that's needed on a broadside shot. They'll be down in short order. Only bison may present a larger lethal zone. And bison permits are rarer than hen's teeth.

If the OP wants to spend more money, their are certainly many custom options. I would expect the sky is the limit. I would contact some gunsmiths specializing in the ultralight custom rifle market and find one that seems to be agreeable to your preferences and see what you come up with. I would certainly coordinate with a selected gunsmith before purchasing components. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Stupid Tikka! I hear how great they are all the time. Now I have to go buy another rifle. My wife sends her thanks phorwath
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partisan1911 View Post
Stupid Tikka! I hear how great they are all the time. Now I have to go buy another rifle. My wife sends her thanks phorwath
Hey, that's what are fellow hunters are for. Propagating and perpetuating riflery and hunting...
The Tikka T3 Lite's are a lot of gun for the money. Quite a bargain. Your wife will just have to remind you that you got a very 'good deal'.