Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

leupold custom turrets ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

leupold custom turrets ?

i looked at ordering a new scope from leupold with laser engraving, my name, etc....
when i got to the custom turret, it gave general bullet, velocity, alt., etc.. questions...

now if i go with getting a turret for an existing scope with yardabe markings, should i shoot the ranges, and record the actual drop at each ??
if so just how big of a target do i need to aim at and record the drop at 1k ?? this just doesn't seem reasonable.....
does this work for a yardage turret, to shoot it useing clicks, and tell them, and then be able to get the yardage turret based on clicks ?

to me it seems easier to put yardage on a turret and just turn it past a few clicks and then back to the actual, then to have to count clicks.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Some things you might want to consider. If you ever want to trade or sell that scope, having your name engraved on it may make it harder to get rid of. If you keep it then it'll be neat to have your name on it.;)

Also, you can put BDC turrets/knobs on it but they are only good for one specific set of field conditions. I guess you could have multiple knobs or a drop sheet with compensations for different conditions. Yes you can just turn it past a few clicks and then back, as in a Leupold, but if conditions have changed drastically from what the knob is set for you could be in trouble and at the very least, you should be able to compensate via using proven drop charts.

I think you'll find that most around here that are serious about looong range shooting dial for each shot according to the distance and weather conditions at the time of the shot.

If you're going to limit your shots to shorter ranges, then you could get by easier with a BDC setup.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

well said SS7MM