Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lets Talk Stepped BC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets Talk Stepped BC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
BROZ,

Interesting ideas. How do you determine the correction for your second curve?.

Well that is why I started this thread. The only way I know is to shoot the actual distances at least every 100 yards and document drops. Then use this data to "Tune" BC and Velocity to match up.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=Broz;534874]Well that is why I started this thread. The only way I know is to shoot the actual distances at least every 100 yards and document drops. Then use this data to "Tune" BC and Velocity to match up.

Jeff[/QUOTET

The only down side I can see to that idea are very slight up and down winds to the target at extreme range, sometimes they are very hard to detect and can make you unsure of what is really happening with your true scope wind up.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Rocky Mountain;534883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well that is why I started this thread. The only way I know is to shoot the actual distances at least every 100 yards and document drops. Then use this data to "Tune" BC and Velocity to match up.

Jeff[/QUOTET

The only down side I can see to that idea are very slight up and down winds to the target at extreme range, sometimes they are very hard to detect and can make you unsure of what is really happening with your true scope wind up.
Yes this is a fact. This is why you need to make the same shot over and over on different days while compiling data. I find early am best.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Broz, you are in a position to use stepped BCs. You have a lot of data compiled, especially with the time in Idaho. I thought the 2 bullet option in shooter is pretty clever. You have the info to go back in and "tune" you BC to find a good fit. I'm pretty interested in the new program Bryan spoke of. The adjustable base sounds neat too. I need to stop reading your posts regarding rangefinders. The last thing my bank account needs is a PLRF.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

I'm not an expert but I do shoot milk jugs at 1800yd. (only 1 out of 17 average ). There are only 2 BC's: supersonic and subsonic. All of the stepdowns are because the bullet does not match the standard profile worth a hill of beans. I feel that for ELR you need do figure out what your actual supersonic and subsonic BC is (out of your barrel). It doesn't matter what the bullet is rated at because they all swage up differentently in different barrels and at ELR small differences are tremendously large. Place a heavy metal plate in front of your second chronograph, find the distance that equals the last of supersonic velocity and then go out another 200yds. for subsonic. Now there is no more step up, down, sideways or inside-out BC popcorn balls. BC is a marketing substitute for shinola.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

For a couple of reason that I hope I have corrected, I am always low at ELR, usually about 1-2 MOA. I have reworked all of my charts and have both the G1 and G7 charts agreeing within 0.3 MOA at 2500 yards so we will see in a month and a few days whether that helps. I would say that between Bryan's book and his ballistic program, JBM and Exbal that things are looking much like the data that I was recording last year so hopefully I have my stars and ducks all lined up now. The thing is that at 2500 yards even 0.3 MOA is a big chunk of real estate.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe you can get Bryan to run you a you one of these. I could not get it to copy correctly but it is quoted from a thread here.

I ran a custom drag profile for the 7mm 200 grain ULD, see below:

Vel G1 BC G7 BC
4000 0.830 0.349
3900 0.819 0.351
3800 0.809 0.353
3700 0.799 0.355

I have resorted to stepped G1 BCs in a couple instances, it is a pain. About the only way I know to do it is get your actual drops and reverse engineer.
Other than that I am not saying anything in this thread.