Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lets talk bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lets talk bullets

Good topic and great discussions for learning LR newb. I regard bullet performance and bullet placement equally more important than caliber. I hunted most intensively in the eighties (<360yds.), so PT was a god send, and TB was much better than PH's recommended solids. BTW I see most elk bang flop more at LR on vid. I wonder if that's because they were not aware of being hunted? I know that elk has great tenacity, particular when it has looked at hunter in the eyes.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
...... IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE THE VERY BEST OF ALL THESE QUALITIES IN ANY ONE BULLET, .....Rich
Most of us say this, but is it correct. It may be more a function of dollars. The dollars in R&D, and how much would we pay for a perfect bullet? You're involved in the process Rich, is it more a function of dollars, than technology?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Most of us say this, but is it correct. It may be more a function of dollars. The dollars in R&D, and how much would we pay for a perfect bullet? You're involved in the process Rich, is it more a function of dollars, than technology?
Yes it is! You may never reach a "perfect" bullet for everything but we could come a lot closer than we are now...Rich
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmuaythai View Post
Good topic and great discussions for learning LR newb. I regard bullet performance and bullet placement equally more important than caliber. I hunted most intensively in the eighties (<360yds.), so PT was a god send, and TB was much better than PH's recommended solids. BTW I see most elk bang flop more at LR on vid. I wonder if that's because they were not aware of being hunted? I know that elk has great tenacity, particular when it has looked at hunter in the eyes.
There is a lot of truth to elk being more at ease at long range. I have NEVER had one run when shot at long range even if they didn't drop right away. I don't think they have a clue what happened.....Rich