Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lets talk bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets talk bullets

I didn't mention it in my earlier post because I haven't tested it thoroughly enough yet but I am working on a .700+ b.c. bullet that externally is identical to my SXR with a bonded partition. So far it is showing some promise. It will expand down to 1300' but stay together at 3000'. The biggest obstacal is accuracy, for reasons I mentioned in the first post, but I have shot a couple of .4 moa groups with it. If it works out as I hope, we might have something closer to perfect.......Rich
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

I completely agree bigger caliber equals more energy and greater margin for error. Also like the more frangible bullets the more I shoot the bigger the caliber. 300 Wby is my starting point for bear elk and larger these days.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

I've fairly well moved away from fast bonded bullets of any kind in favor of softer but much higher sectional density bullets simply because that combination has proven so much better with elk for the chamberings I shoot. I found the bonded bullets had to be spot on with placement because the wound channel while long was not wide enough to affect much more than an 1.5-2 in area of lung and many times it was a bruise with a caliber hole in the middle which won't get you out of trouble. Since going to the softer bullets I see smaller entrance holes but the hole in the center and exit are 2+ in in diameter of blown out hole with more radiating rips, the high sectional density keeps it going while doing so much more damage. My bull last year was hit back at the liver with the first shot and he could not move up hill he was so sick and he could barely stay up, the wound channel from that first hit was large with radiating cuts in his liver and a bonded bullet would not have given me that performance. I shot him again through the heavy leg bone below the shoulder blade, it shattered this bone and blew one of the nicest holes through the forward part of the lungs I've ever had then exited just in front of the same bone on the of side, that hit I don't think I would have seen a difference between a bonded and non bonded jacket but my bullet has the sectional density to drive through the bone still. Two hits on the same bull, one I feel would have cost me some serious tracking if I had used bonded bullets and the other hit would have been GTG either way so for me I'm getting way more leeway with the non bonded open tip bullets and much more even wound channels through soft parts or bone.
If my choice was a low SD bullet I would go bonded every time but with the higher SD I'm digging non bonded in a big way!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

With today's bullets like the VLD and A-Max, the wound channel from smaller calibers is as large as those from some of the larger caliber bullets from yesteryear.

It's a fool's errand to expect a big bullet to make up for poor shot placement, caused by the shooter's inability to hold up his end of the deal and put the bullet where it needs to go...
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I didn't mention it in my earlier post because I haven't tested it thoroughly enough yet but I am working on a .700+ b.c. bullet that externally is identical to my SXR with a bonded partition. So far it is showing some promise. It will expand down to 1300' but stay together at 3000'. The biggest obstacal is accuracy, for reasons I mentioned in the first post, but I have shot a couple of .4 moa groups with it. If it works out as I hope, we might have something closer to perfect.......Rich
Sounds like a very interesting bullet, Rich. The perfect bullet may just be something similar to your new project, but with a tipped hollow front end (similar to a TTSX) and a bonded rear lead core.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

The more complication you bring in to the construction of a bullet the more accuracy is potentially lost bringing it back to a shorter range bullet anyway .
There is different ways to bond a bullet not all bullets are done the same way .
Once you start tipping a bullet to reduce meplat diameter and increase BC you end up making it slower to expand than a normal open meplat on softer targets .
Bond the core and tip the bullet to a small meplat and you have a bullet that may not expand at all at long range due to velocity drop off if it hits a soft target . There is no such thing as the perfect bullet for all situations , as the situations , shot placement and potential targets vary so much . The best we can do is have the best bullet for the job at hand . If we try for the one bullet fits all approach there is going to be some horrible miss match some place along the line .
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

I have found that the smaller the caliber, the more attention I have had to pay to bullet construction. Years ago, I made a few trips to Africa where I used my 375H&H for everything from 100 pound impala to 2000 pound cape buffalo with several species of game in between. Shots were from 50 to 500 yards. For all but the first shot on the buffalo where I used a 300 gr solid, I used plain old 270 gr. Winchester Power Points. Everything except the buffalo dropped stone dead with one shot. Over the past 20 years or so using 270, 30, and 7mm calibers in magnum and non magnum calibers and ranges under 500 yards, I found that most of the popular hunting bullets with a preference for Nosler Partitions and Accubonds did well given good shot placement, but gave varied performance past 500 yards. The game really changes at the extended ranges and the high BC, high sectional density bullets really come into their own, particularly in the smaller calibers. Today, I mostly hunt mule deer, white talis, and antelope with a 6,5x284 with shots from 50 to 1000 yards. After lots of different bullets with varying degrees of performance, I have found that the 140 gr.Hunting Bergers driven at 2950-3000 fps seem to give me the superb terminal performance and excellent accuracy at all ranges. Berger seems to have really gotten this bullet right.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt