Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lets talk best LR cartridge vs accuracy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lets talk best LR cartridge vs accuracy!

Its all price of performance and what your willing to put into something. Just about anything applies to that. A RUM should work fine, but if you want the best and highest performing get ready to put some time into it.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

NH,I'm not so sure whether or not the cartridge case size and design can really make a difference accuracy wise or not? As far as the marketing info goes the newer short fat cartridges are supposed to produce the tighter groups over the old tried and true cases? I suspect some case designs may produce tight groups over a little wider variation in powder charges. This comes to mind in the case of wide temperature variations which apparently have the same affect as increasing or decreasing your powder charge according to the rise and fall of the ambient temperature. The other thing I am fishing for is other peoples experiences with consistant accuracy that they feel is atributed to case design rather than other factors. I know some members here have gone with the 30-338 Lapua mag and I would like to hear how well these baby's shoot groups. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

How far are you intending on hunting with this rifle and what game are you hunting
Crow Mag
Old 06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

[ 06-17-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]
Old 06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

There is nothing wrong with the .30 caliber magnums and they actually provide an excellent selection.

However, you might consider the WSM and SAUM as well as the seudomags like the .30-.284 and similar cases.

Here is a picture with my particular favorite, the 7mm WSM.

D. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Lets talk best LR cartridge vs accuracy!

After this comming hunting season is over I am looking at building a 30 cal LR hunting rig from scratch. Think I'll go with the PGW action although I cringe just thinking about the price of it (2500.00 CDN) Ouch! Cartridge selection is the question and a mind boggling one the more you think about it. What do you guy's think? I'm thinking 300WM - 300RUM area performance wise but would I really gain anything by going wild cat? I am intrigued lately by the latest 30-338 Lapua wildcat the brass sounds just plain awesome but the question is would you gain anything at all accuracy wise or would this just be an expensive 300RUM. Any thoughts or comments much appreciated!

[ 06-17-2004: Message edited by: NorthernSniper ]
Old 06-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

I am planning on taking Elk out to a max of about 600yds under ideal conditions with a 30 cal. in the 200-210gr area. I guess the info I'm after would be which cartridge case has the most advantageous internal balistics? I have a 300WSM but I suspect I would see better long range performance from the 300WM - 27" barrel with slower powders like RL25. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]