Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Let's talk about Mks and what they'll do to a deer's internals.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Let\'s talk about Mks and what they\'ll do to a deer\'s internals.

Ian what caliber?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

J.
The cartridge was the .308 Win., exact load was Win. brass and primer and 45 gr. Varget loaded at 2.830". Shoots very well in almost any rifle we try it in.
Guy's rifle was a new Rem. M-700 VS that shoots very well.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks. I have a small 308 I was going to use, but unsure of grain weight. I have 155's and 168's. Probably go with the 168's.

Any problems with short range and them? 200 max with this crappy scope I have on it.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:47 PM

Quick personal story.

Shot a whitetail doe last season at about 150 yds with a 168gr MK (.308)

A little forward of the shoulder was the entry point, and the exit would, which was straight through, was about the size of a tennis ball.

Anyway, the doe bucked and ran toward me, as i was near the treeline and she was in the cornfield, so i grabbed my REM 870 and fired one more round as she passed me on my right side. She dropped about 20 yds from where i thought i hit her with the slug.

Turned out that when i examined the wound, it was, in fact, the .308 round that hit. The entrance and exit wounds were on the "wrong" sides to have come from the shotgun.

FWIW, Al
Old 10-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

A good low-cost bullet test medium is wet newspaper. Soak it for at least 2 hrs then let it drain for a couple of minutes so that any test you do now will be relevent to any in the past or future.

Wet newspaper is reputed to have the same resistance to a bullet as muscle tissue. Lung tissue is softer so penetration and bullet integrity would be better than the result you get from newspaper.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Last spring I took a good sized black bear at about 300yds with a 240gr. MK from a 300 win mag. MV was 2850fps. Bear dropped in his tracks. He was running up hill and the entrance was the left side rib cage. When we got the hid off there were several smaller exits on the other side and the jacket was found stuck in the rib tissue on the exit side. Not premium bullet performance but the bear was sure impressed.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

I recently shot a 4x4 Muley at 460 yards and a big black bear at 250 yards. I am using a .300 RUM with the 200g SMK. I hit the buck in the shoulder, (where I was aiming) and the bullet exited out the opposite shoulder leaving just about a baseball size exit hole. The deer dropped in his tracks. I hit the bear right behind the shoulder and it went a couple yards and piled over dead. I ended up finding the bullet just before you got to the offset hide. The bullet was pretty desintegrated, but the bear sure didn't complain. The internal destruction on both animals was by far the worst I have ever seen, even beat the B-tips I usually use. Those were my first 2 big game animals shot using Match Kings. I used the 100g SMK out of my 25/06 with erratic results on coyotes, meaning some expanded, some didn't, but in the end, they all proved to die very quickly. I am hooked on these SMK's for hunting, at least the 200g out of my 300 RUM. Next is elk season. Hoping to try them out on a bull that steps out. The biggest problem is finding one to shoot at.