Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Let's talk about Mks and what they'll do to a deer's internals.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Let\'s talk about Mks and what they\'ll do to a deer\'s internals.

Hey guys,
I had a chance to test my 150MKs for my 708, shooting into a box that held(for a moment)3 milk jugs filled with water and an old curtain stuffed in there to hopefully catch the bullet as it lost speed, yeah right, what lost speed, and for insurance an old railroad tie to really catch the bullet, anyway, paced off 100yds. and put the rifle on a halfassed rest, fire in the hole! CRACK went the rifle and at the same time my milk jugs were obliterated, Of course the hole going in was the size of the bullet, all 3 jugs were in tatters, blown to pieces, you get the picture, exit wound if you will in the back side of the box was the size of the quarter in my pocket, I could not for the life of me find the bullet in the old railroad tie, gotta be in there somewhere, at any rate, I wouldn't want to be the deer on the recieving end of this bullet, it didn't pencil through like some of the naysayers on AR.com say it would, it didn't go all to pieces either, made a perfect exit hole from what I saw. Needless to say, I'm sold on the MATCHKING for deer, Only question is, was that pretty much a typical exit hole and damage that's done when shooting through milk jugs? I'm thinking yes, Thanks for listening, Jay
Old 10-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Let\'s talk about Mks and what they\'ll do to a deer\'s internals.

The plastic will blow apart like that with any round. Not a real world type comparison. The plastic has no elasticity and will just shread to pieces. I wouldn't make my bullet choice based on water jugs.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Clg9mm, I just wanted to see if the MK would poke right through or tear itself to pieces, and from what I could tell it held together pretty good, Jay
Old 10-12-2003, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Jay,

If you want to see what the bullet looked like, shoot it through about 5-7 jugs and pick it out of the one it falls into. If you want, put pieces of cardboard in between each jug and number them to see the size of the hole it makes as it passes through each one. Laundry soap jugs work great too. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Water is a hard and incompressable substance, take it from the nuts who jump off bridges. I'm not too sure how bullet performance in water compares to performance in live tissue. I have shot many handgun bullets into a burlap bag which was floated just beneath the water. I got PERFECTLY mushroomed bullets every time and the water easily stopped the bullet within 2' which allowed them to fall into the burlap bag for retrieval.
Just a thought, but has anyone tried shooting Matchkings or any other bullets into a line of pumpkins, watermelons or similar material?

Here is the totality of my scientific testing of Matchking bullets on big game:
I shot one large whitetail doe with a 168gr Matchking from my 7 WBY mag. Bullet took her broadside in the chest, just behind the shoulder. Doe ran about 50 yards uphill and keeled over dead. Although I did not perform an autopsy to determine the extent of bullet expansion or tissue damage; the deer was quickly and hunanely dispatched.
That would constitute a 100% satisfactory performance standard for the Matchkings during my tests. Even DC couldn't boast to that! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
VH

[ 10-12-2003: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]
Old 10-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Varmint hunter

Good going with the 168 gr MK.

I've had such good success with the Match Kings, I can't imagine a quicker kill then MKs give, then what I have witnessed through the scopes or Bigeyes.

My tests are on real animals and the final conclusions are, they die VERY quick and the wound channels are unbelievable.

Later
DC
Old 10-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Not a Matchking story but we recently followed the wound path in a mulie doe that had taken a 168 Nosler J4 in the front ribs, bullet went diagnally throught upper lungs, diaphragm, top of stomach and smashed the opposite femur (big rear leg bone - top one). We found a large chunk of lead, no jacket.
Distance of shot was just over 500 yards, this deer only went a short distance before she headed to that great alfalfa patch in the sky.