Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Let's NOT argue about BC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Let's NOT argue about BC's

I have been following the thread "Let's argue about BC's " and oh my head hurts!

Anyway I was thinking about all of the other things that might make a bullet appear to follow a trajectory, different from that predicted by ballistic software.

So I thought I would come up with a top 10 list and I hope that the smart Long Range Hunters here can add to it to come up with a definitive list on how to make a good rifle shoot bad.

1. The Shooter.
2. Scope calibration error
3. Chronographed velocity wrong.
4. Parallax.
5. wind.
6. Mirage.
7. Atmospheric readings wrong.
8. Cant.
9. Distance measurement error
10. Variations in rifle hold, rear bag placement, recoil control, cheek weld etc between different field shooting positions.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Let's NOT argue about BC's

You forgot the Number 1 way to make a good rifle shoot bad;

INPUTTING THE WRONG BC INTO YOUR BALLISTIC CALCULATOR TO START WITH, then fudging the other details to make your trajectory look like it fits...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Groper,
I think that comes under the heading of trying to make a bad shooting rifle shoot well using trickery and I tend to agree with you.

The point of this thread is to identify the things that can make a rifle that is shooting a bullet with a known B.C. not appear to follow a software predicted trajectory.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
SPONSOR

I like your list. You must reside right here on Earth.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Just to clarify for the newer guys, maybe you could include 'and scope height' as part of your #2 'scope calibration'. They may not make the connection.

Just an idea.

Thanks,

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by groper View Post
You forgot the Number 1 way to make a good rifle shoot bad;

INPUTTING THE WRONG BC INTO YOUR BALLISTIC CALCULATOR TO START WITH, then fudging the other details to make your trajectory look like it fits...
Kind of like you telling me to 'fudge' my velocity to make my trajectory look like it fits........even if it is 220FPS.

Sorry TopShot, from here, I will leave your thread alone. I will quietly take my leave and wait for my rig to be completed. Groper, feel free to flame away!!!

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 02-23-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Gold Member

I read somewhere that sometimes scopes dont really move like they are supposed to.
Most of the time 1 click moves you 1/4 inch at 100 yards I hear some scopes are off 1 click moves 3/16 insteed for each click(for example) that would throw things off
retiredcpo