Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lerch and Bill's new Toy!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lerch and Bill\'s new Toy!!

[ QUOTE ]
Overall finished weight should be somewhere around 65lbs!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh! A mountain rifle huh? Perfect for goats and sheep!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

I don't think your going to have any problems with accuracy, your going to have a shooter for sure. I have a 30-338 laupa imp and it is great. Its shoots way better than it should. The brass is excellent and takes pressure very well. I get quater moa groups with 150 hornadys at 3800 in a tensioned alumnium tube. Your gun will shoot the heavy bullet will help ultize the over bore cartidge. Lets face it if you want to get past 1500 yards you have to get someting very overbore. Don't fret things will work out. Just a side note if you do put a JLK or Berger 180 in that cannon I bet it will blow up 2 out of three bullets [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. When you shoot a prarie dog past 2000 yards you won't worry what anybody says [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 AM
SPONSOR

I am sure a JLK or Bergr will never see the inside of this pipe for the reason you stated. For bbl breakin we may use a SMK or something a little cheaper than the big Wildcats.

We have a hydraulic forming die on order from Hornady, should be here next week. When we get it we will post a review on it. If it works it should defiantly be nice. The tech at Hornady told us that he thought it would do the job but he said we would have to beat the hell out of it to form that tough lapua brass!!!

Our end goal it the record at 2 miles, we would like 3700yds. We have found one shooting location that beats Slacks record but doesnt get us quite as far as we want. I was amazed to be able to set and watch pdogs running back and forth at 3200yds with a 25 power scope!!

Hitting one will be another story

thanks
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Let us know how the forming die works. I love improved cartidges but really hate wasting powder and bullets forming the brass. No matter how you form brass it is a pain and cost money. On a side note when I fire formed my 30-338 laupa 35 degree shoulder I had no problems at all. In fact it is much harder for me to make my 22 dasher from 6 br brass. I really hope the forming dies work out I would love to have one. Please post pics and description on how it works. Are they avalible for sale?And if so how much. Hope to see gun in action soon !!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:48 PM
SPONSOR

You and me both wanna see this thing in action!!!

From what I understand of the forming dies you place the case inside the die which is filled with water, then you close the die and beat the hell out of it with a dead blow hammer!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] More detailed operating descriptions will come [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

From what I understand after you form the brass in the die you then run it through a full length sizer and then your 98% done. We will post a full evalution of it once we get her up and running. If it will work well then it will be awfully nice!!!

they will be available for sale, hornady just started making them. more info will follow soon

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Lerch & Bill,
I am jealous as hell of your new toy. Here in Australia we can only dream of a rifle like that. We have a 500 m target shoot called a fly shoot so I would be very interested in how it shots at 500m.
Good luck with it.
Regards
hjl
Old 05-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch and Bill, if you guys are wanting to shoot out to 3700 yards, why did you not go with a 338 Lupa Improved with a 300 grn Bullet traveling at 3000 fps. I am still learning about the BC thing, I am just wondering, will this be a better set up then a 338 Lupa Magnum Improved. What are the differences, I would like to know what you guys think. I can't wait to see the video when you guys shoot her. Lerch, I am like you, I love the look of a completed wildcat cartridge with a long bullet. There is something about shooting your rifle and knowing that you put togather the cartridge yourself.