Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lerch and Bill's new Toy!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 01:56 PM
SPONSOR

Lerch and Bill\'s new Toy!!

Okay well she is not ready just yet but I figured I would go ahead and break the news. We have been talking with Kirby and Richard Graves about this bad boy for a while now. When we approached Kirby we said we wanted a gun to definantly make the 2k club with and to hopefully go after Kregg Slacks world record!!!

Our original idea was the 338AM or even the 510AM. While all of these would have awesome potential, as Kirby is showing with the 338 AM, we settled on a smaller round.

The gun will go as follows:

7mm Allen Mag throated for 250gr ULD RBBT WildCat
40" long 1.75 diameter straight tube Lilja 3 groove
APS brake
BAT 10"x2" action
McMillan 50HBR stock (30% white--30%grey--40%black)
Jewell 2oz trigger
BAT 40moa base
Ivey 150moa adjustable rings
APS bedding block
Premier boosted Leup 20-50x50mm

Overall finished weight should be somewhere around 65lbs!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

We choose the 7mmAM over the 338 and others simply because of the ballistics. With a BC around .9 for the 200gr ULD it would have few rivals, with a 250gr bullet it should be amazing. I wont get into predicted BC's cause we all know where that goes, but it should be high!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I know we will have problems spotting dirt impacts at 2000yds to 2miles with the 7mm bullet but we just couldnt pass up the wind bucking ability and retained energy.

The project was started a while ago so hopefully we are not a real long ways from straining our backs with this sucker, but then again you all know how smith's are, or even more how action maker's are!!!!

Just wanted to put this all out there and see what you guys thought. In our opinion ballistically this should be close to the top for extreme range shooting rigs and we wanted to open the floor up to opinions

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lerch and Bill\'s new Toy!!

Lerch:

If you've got the glass to spot critters at that range, you won't have any trouble seeing the results of the impact. I've only shot mine to 1500 yards so far but with the big Wildcats there is always quite a bit of landscape moved around at impact. About the only time I haven't seen an impact is if it is wet and or muddy, or if the impact is in an animal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Although I kind of forget that you guys are shooting on table top flat land down there. I'm used to some incline in the terrain and that helps a lot.

That sucker will be up to the task if you guys crawl in behind it and do your part. That's a pretty good list of components.

I know what you mean about the waiting thing. I know we all give Kirby a rough time about being "slow" but in reality it's the wait for parts and components that holds everything up. Once he has all of the parts you won't have to wait very long at all. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2006, 02:36 PM
SPONSOR

tabletop land yup, the rumor is you can stand on a beer can and see all the way across our state!!!

Actually where we hunt pdogs at is one of the few hilly spots in Oklahoma so it will work in our favor, as well as the fact that our state is turning into a desert so dust clouds shoudl be visable

take it easy
steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 05-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch, sounds like its going to be awesome. I can't wait to hear how she shoots. What will your volecity be with 250grn bullet. When will you guys get her. Make sure to post some pics.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
SPONSOR

We are wanting to get over 3000fps with the 250gr ULD, 3100-3200 would be absolutly amazing!!

Our spotter is a Swaro 20-60x80mm Hi-Definition scope!! We are trying to capture video through this rig so hopefully when we get her all of you guys can see the results. The rig should be similiar to the MOAG but with a longer BBL and a smaller hole in the end

steve
1-800-522-3314
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Lerch, i'm basically jealous of this gun.don't know how else to say it. i don't want to come across as negative but i see 2 things that i don't care for. one is throating it for the 250 bullets.personally i don't think a 250 gr bullet will work in this caliber.it's been done before,it's why bullet makers only make em so long for a given caliber.why not throat it for the 200's.a few fps loss won't make any difference at 3k. after all it's the BC you're after and you can fall back on the 200's if the "i'm assuming untested" 250's don't work out.the second is a 3 groove barrel.i know the starting into the lands/long bearing surface/heavy bullet/huge overbore situation will be about as bad as it gets, but i'd go with a 5 canted land design.i dought a 5 canted land configuration will be any harder to start a bullet into than a conventional 3 groove.as a benifit you can probably shoot at least 100 or more fps faster with the canted lands.if the 250's don't work out and you use the 200's,then there won't be some of the problems that the 3 groove has had with the speeds the lapua improved pushes them.

i'll never again build a gun that is in "unproven waters" and that's kinda what you boys are doing, but, it's the only way to find out if it will work.as i said before,i'm not flaming or tring to sound negative but just responding to your post.

i wish you nothing but good luck with this and like many others will be anxiously waiting for test results and of couse that picture of a dead dog at 3300! Dave
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

I have to agree with dave with on this one. I would throat it for to 200's. Lets face it a 200 grain 7mm with a b.c of at least .8 is pretty extreme. and I think what you run into with super long bullets is just too much bearing surface causing pressure. I don't think the 250's B.C will make up for the lost speed. I built my 22 dasher to shoot the 100 grain wildcats, while it does shoot great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] and is excellent in the wind, I don't think i gained anything over the 90 grain bullets. Yes the B.C is great can,t complain . But I lost alot of speed due to the long bearing surface. For example my dasher could shoot a 90 grain bullet with a B.C of .6 at 3200 FPS, and the 100 at 2865 FPS. In my eyes i'm not gaining that much. The 7mm 338 laupa imp is a ballistic giant. I don't think you have any problems with 180 grain to 200 grain 7mm bullets. I like Richard and his bullets but give your self some options. Throat it for the 200's and if the 250 work great then throat it for them. I'm in the same boat throated my gun for the wildcats and wish I throated it shorter to use covential bullets to. Just give your self some options you can always make your throat longer, but can't make it shorter without rechambering. Your going to have a excellent gun ,just give youself some options.