Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

left hand options for long range rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: left hand options for long range rifle?

I too am right handed but left eye dominant and shoot rifles and shotguns left handed. Shooting prone there is definitely an advantage with a right handed rifle in that you can work the bolt without raising our cheek from the stock. For carry around guns (standing shots) I prefer a left handed bolt.

Savage gets my vote, but Tikka and Browning are also available in left hand.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Here's one that shoots like onto a dream:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...ksTacRifle.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...150-12XTgt.jpg

Tgt is a 150-12X from 1000 yds. Standard Remington 700 action, Krieger barrel, Surgeon DBM, and McMillan stock.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:17 AM

You can get Weatherby Accumark LH in 257 and 300 wby. I have the 300 wby. Accumark and it shoots under 1 inch groups at 100 yards with factory Weatherby 180 grain accubonds. This in my opionion is the closest you can get to a custom rifle that is mass produced. I also owned a LH Browning a-bolt in 300 wsm it also shot well but not as good as the Accumark.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 AM

If I may add to one of the other previous posts. I am right handed, left eye dominate. I have a couple of precision rifles that I shout regularly. I use a simple principle to determine what action L or R that I will use. If the rifle might be used off hand, say for hunting and is light weight...I use a left hand action. If the rifle is a true long range gun that I will be shooting either prone or support, I use a right handed action. I can cycle the action while maintaining my check weld.

So for hunting I have the following:

LH Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger
LH Weatherby Mk V in 300 Wby Mag
LH Weatherby Ultralight in 257 Wby

For long range precision I have:

RH LTR with AICS stock
RH AI AWM in 338 Lapua Mag

I find this is the right balance and works well for me. The heavier the rifle, the more likely I will use a right hand action...the lighter and more likely to be shot offhand...then left hand action....

I hope this helps a bit...
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Gold Member

I don't understand where you think a RH action is an advantage, when shooting prone.

On the few occasions that I've taken spotter shots, I've fired, adjusted scope, cycled the action, and still didn't lose cheek weld, after all the rifle is on a bipod with a rear support.
RR