Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lead sled?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Lead sled?

I finally got my 338 win mag back from a reputable builder. He told me that the gun was shooting half inch groups with 225 tsx federal supreme. I bought a lead sled to try some ttsx loads. When after 3 or 4 shots with the ttsx...200 and 225 gr, I would get a flier. I figured that I would stick with the regular tsx and loaded the rifle ready for the hole on top of hole thing. Well, they didn't seem to shoot any better than the other two. I would get an moa 3 shot group Nd then the 4th or 5th shot would drop about 3 inches and to the left an inch or two. Can't figure it out. It was the first time using a lead sled, but it seemed easy enough and quite solid. Anyone else have this happen to them? I was shooting a round a minute for a 4 or 5 shot string and then let it cool for 10 or 15 minutes. The stock, not the barrel, was resting on the front brace.

Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Lead sled?

i too have a lead sled. mine is the DFT

i have had mixed results. the lack of recoil is great but the front cradle is very wobbly. i think sometimes it "flexes" different and causes mixed results. i thought about modifying mine where the front is more locked down and adding a velcro "belt" to go up and over the receiver. but i haven't as of yet so i cant comment on my plans effectiveness...
Old 09-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

I use a lead sled alot when working up a load in the beginning but once i have things narrowed down to two or three differant loads I switch to a good set of bags. much more steady for tweaking in a load. I think the lead sleds are only good for keeping you from getting beat up tring to find a load.
Get some good bags and try it again.
Also find out how long he waited between shot and compare that to what you are doing. Are you getting the barrel alot hotter than he did?
I shoot all my groups fairly quick just like you would if you where hunting that way you know how its going to act when hunting. I know some guys wait several minutes between shots.
retiredcpo
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93trojan View Post
I finally got my 338 win mag back from a reputable builder. He told me that the gun was shooting half inch groups with 225 tsx federal supreme. I bought a lead sled to try some ttsx loads. When after 3 or 4 shots with the ttsx...200 and 225 gr, I would get a flier. I figured that I would stick with the regular tsx and loaded the rifle ready for the hole on top of hole thing. Well, they didn't seem to shoot any better than the other two. I would get an moa 3 shot group Nd then the 4th or 5th shot would drop about 3 inches and to the left an inch or two. Can't figure it out. It was the first time using a lead sled, but it seemed easy enough and quite solid. Anyone else have this happen to them? I was shooting a round a minute for a 4 or 5 shot string and then let it cool for 10 or 15 minutes. The stock, not the barrel, was resting on the front brace.

Any ideas?
I'm not a fan of the lead sled. It removes several variables and introduces new ones. But, if your first 3 shots are always tight, it doesn't seem like the lead sled is your problem here.

Try stopping with 3 shots and then wait until the barrel completely cools and try another 3 shot group. If your groups are repeatedly and consistently tight with no fliers and no change in POI, then your problem seems to be stress in the barrel and/or reciever due to heat build up that's throwing your 4th or 5th shot.

Otherwise, it may just be harmonics in the bullet/load/rifle/shooter/lead sled combo. In which case, you need to methodically change one variable at a time to identify the issue.

Or, take the rifle to your smith and observe him shooting it since he said it was on the money.

-- richard
Old 09-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

I noticed the front cradle as being wobbly....I have the dft also. I think my problem was not anchoring the front of the rifle. I pretty much let it just lay on the cradle with my free hand resting on top of the scope. This was comfortable for me as the extra length of the lead sled makes it a hassle to hold the forearm of the stock. I am going back and do it "old school". At least it's better than the time my dad and I mounted a scope on a 416 weatherby....he handed me the rifle and said, "Go sight it in son.". Well, I did but I never forgot it either. Shoulder felt like it was ready to fall off my body and my ears rang for a week day and night. That experience at least taught me to use hearing protection...what's left of it!

Thanks for the replies....I was pretty down yesterday as I spent a chunk of $ on this rig and I was ready to throw it over a bridge!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

When used accordingly, the Lead Sled can be a very effective tool during sight ins and load development ...

Caldwell Lead Sled

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.