Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lawton Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Chawlston

Re: Lawton Barrels

Like I have already said, find a manufacturer that has made them for a while with all the bugs worked out of them. Someone with several thousand manufactured with with a good track record and all the gremlins resolved is a great place to start. Spending money for one from an upstart company could result in similar problems to the Lawton actions. There is a lot more to making an action than just having square and concentric components and/or properties. Remember you are crawling behind 60,000 to 70,000 psi in pressure.

I wonder how much liability insurance one needs to manufacture actions. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

James
Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Kirby
I just read your response to wildcat. My 338am is going to have the Lawton M8000 Reaceiver. If there is any chance there might be a problem let's go with some one else.
I don't feel that my smith should have to work on a custom action to make it right. but I trust your judgement 100% so I will wait to hear, you can e-mail me on this for what you think. The responses do not sound good. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

New shooter, I feel the same way about the action. I ordered a Lawton 7500 Action, for my 300-WSM project, and I don't want my smith to have to do work on a custom action to make it perfect. So, I have decided to use a Nesika Model L Action for my project. I will use the Lawton Action for another project. I am sure the Lawton actions are good, however, I don't want to have to have work done to it to make it custom. I want my 300-WSM project to be as accurate as possible, as I will be shooting small ground squirrels out to 1000 yards, so I need all the accuracy I can get.

Wildcat
Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I am not trying to spook anyone away from the Lawton receivers or barrels. I am just saying they are in the same class as all the other receivers out there for that price range. If you have a Lawton on order with me, I would not cancel the order because I will make it true and square if it does not show up that way.

The M8000 and M7500 receivers are much better then the M7000. There is a noticable quality difference between the two as the M7000 is a true economy grade receiver.

Still if you order receivers from Stiller or any other custom receiver in this price range you will see the same variation from what I have seen by actually measuring different sample receivers.

Again, I would not run away from the Lawton receivers, just realize that the M7000 is what it is, an economy line receiver and Barney will tell you the exact same thing.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
As such, I have designed my own receiver design which should be available this summer that will solve these issues and also offer things no other receiver that I know of to date offers in a receiver that will fit into a Rem 700 stock and use Rem 700 accessaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't news this big deserve its own thread? Or did I miss it?

What, when, how much, and can I be on a waiting list or something?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Lawton Barrels *DELETED*

Post deleted by Bushchook
Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

After reading Kirby's disturbing report above I checked the Stiller squareness issue out with the smith that is building my .243AI .
Below is the result of his testing .

Quote : "I currently have 3 Stiller actions of various models in stock, 2 different Bat actions and currently only 1 Stolle Panda. All six were checked and not one was more than the .00025" that I ask".

Maybe you've been a bit unlucky lately Kirby ?