Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Last straw with the Chrony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Re: Last straw with the Chrony

I own and operate a CED Millennium Chronograph (sometimes that is) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . I will emit that it has the same problems as others do in dim lighting conditions and when it happens its definitely frustrating! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I was considering buying the infrared screens (its like a $90.00 option) but have not decided if that will really solve the problem or not. I'd really be torked if I spent another $90.00 and it does't solve the problem! Sometime I think that I should have gone with the Oehler to begin with.

On the other hand, the RSI Shooting Lab software is kinda neat. In addition to printing targets, storing load data, providing interior ballistic data, and keeping a shooting log of every round fired, it will also analyze your target and your chronograph data.

You litterally tape your shot-up target to your computer monitor, then use the mouse and cursor to mark the bullet holes and intended aim point and press "Analyse". You combine that with a PC download of your Chronograph data and select the bullet manufacturer, type and weight from a built in catelog of data, and the software will provide you with virtually every exterior balistic information you may want. You want to add in wind drift, it'll analyse that too.

As far as the accuracy of the analyses...well it's a place to start. It does require some calibrations to get the computer model to match real world bullet impacts.