Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Kreiger, Hart or Lija ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2002, 10:34 PM

Kreiger, Hart or Lija ??

I am going to get a 6.5-284 put together and want opinions on barrels. I like the fact Kreiger cuts the rifling supposed to be less stressful and we can use that [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] . Lija has a 3 groove option that has been talked about longer life and easier cleaning and I thought I would throw Hart in the mix because they are so popular.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2002, 10:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Kreiger, Hart or Lija ??

Roddy, I was looking at the same ones you are and after post which type of rifling I decided to go with polygonal from Tac-Ord using a PacNor barrel. The poly is suppose to increase the speed somewhat. Now I'm going with a larger calibers than you( a 30 and a 338). That's just another option. Dave King has one and it shoots from what he and others say.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Mike Rock also makes cut-rifled barrels that are superb shooters, they are available from George Gardner at GA-Precision. I have one now that is great, partner shoots one also and it is amazing. Another good cut-rifled barrel that I have personally shot a lot is from H-S Precision.
Dan Lilja makes incredible button-rifled barrels as are Harts. Dan is a very nice person to deal with.
Good luck with your selection.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

I use Border Barrel ( cut rifled ) and PAC NOR barrel ( button rifled ) both can delivery long barrel ( over 30 inch ) in custom pitch /cailber/number of grooves /diam up to 2 inches
and make very good barrels for long range PAC NOR make amazing good 3 grooves barrel

Mike ROCK is a kind guy but very strange and I have never get news from him since now ,following our meet at the Shot SHOW several years ago .His barrel look as a clone of the Obermayer barrel 5 grooves .

HS are good varmint barrels but not amazing and I am not sure the goal of HS is long range barrel with lenght over 30 inch , I have shoot some but never find a real tack driver barrel from HS .

G SCHNEIDER from SCOTTDALE ( AZ ) make very good barrel too ( button rifled ) .

Good Shooting

DAN TEC
Old 09-09-2002, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

Any custom barrel has the potential to shoot very well. I tend to lean towards the cut rifling process due to the lower stress factor as they take many shallow cuts. Cut rifling usually has a more true rate of twist. Krieger barrels are excellent and mine all shoot under 1/2 moa with little tweaking. I've read lots of good things about Mike Rock barrels and plan on using his next. He uses the same method as Krieger but is a much smaller operation, hence the potential for higher quality. He goes one step further than most, hand lapping his barrels before and after rifling.
Good shooting
Old 09-09-2002, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Might want to look at Clay Spencers barrels here in Va. Just put one on a heavy gun in 300 WSM and is the fastest cleaning up barrel I have ever seen. Quite a few guys are using his barrels now and love them and say they shoot and clean up quicker than any other barrel. Also shoots very accurately. The Army SOF guys tested his barrels and found they got the best accuracy compared with all the others. They have got 18' barrels for SR25s doing 1/2 MOA in combat configs. They just dropped a lot of $ to him to expand his shop and equipment to build barrels for the Special Ops guys. Heard Krieger and K&P have had a batch of not so good barrels lately and 1000 yd guys have had to change them out.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Roddy, if you looked on his web-sight, you probably saw nothing on his barrels. You`ll need to call and talk to him to get your information other than what others can tell you. From my understanding his barrels are top notch.