Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Kollmorgen Riflescope??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Kollmorgen Riflescope??

I just started a new post concerning a 222 I purchased but wanted to separate the scope that was on it for some additional input. It is a RELIC 6x Kollmorgen with a VERY fine crosshair and dot. Does anyone know anything about this dinosaur? The optics are actually pretty good. I read a little on the internet concerning them and found out they originally made periscopes starting back in the 30's. The guy who started the co. in Brooklyn was a German immigrant. I thought I might put it on E-Bay or?? Does it have any particular value. Any info on this scope would be appreciated.......Rich
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Kollmorgen Riflescope??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I just started a new post concerning a 222 I purchased but wanted to separate the scope that was on it for some additional input. It is a RELIC 6x Kollmorgen with a VERY fine crosshair and dot. Does anyone know anything about this dinosaur? The optics are actually pretty good. I read a little on the internet concerning them and found out they originally made periscopes starting back in the 30's. The guy who started the co. in Brooklyn was a German immigrant. I thought I might put it on E-Bay or?? Does it have any particular value. Any info on this scope would be appreciated.......Rich
I have a 2 3/4 X and know about as much about it as you do. But like you said its a nice clear scope I have it on a 10/22 that I've tuned up a little and I have really liked it. I don't know that they're collector items and I dont know that they're not. Like Redfield there are some that I really like.

I have a Ruger M77 Flatbolt ,243 I think your Kollmorgen would be real nice on. How much do you think you might want for it? Let me know.

Tom
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Elkaholic,

I seem to remember something written about the Kollmorgens being used on some early US sniper rifles, mostly M1Cs and Ds, though they were never standard issue like the M72 and M73 scopes. There were a lot of limited runs of various scopes used in this application during the later days of WWII and then Korea, mostly on an experimental basis. I think Peter Senich has written some on this combination, but I'd have to do some digging through my reference stuff to nail it dow. Don't know anything about the commercial side of the Kollmorgens, sorry!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I have been learning a little more on line. Sounds like they were considered on of the best scopes (in their day) and were indeed used by the military. They were sold by Stith mounts from 1950-1956 and were later taken over by Redfield.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Stith/Kollmorgen is how I recall Senich listing them in his works, along with some photos of them in use. Like I said, not officially adopted on a large scale, but apparently some of them did see use in combat.

Sounds like an interesting little piece of history there!