Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Kirby Allen builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kirby Allen builds

cinch,

If's just not right for you to have posted a pic of such a rig. From the looks of it, all bullet energy will be lost due to pressure reduction caused by those 10 big holes in that weird lookin' brake. The barrel looks long enough to require a goose neck trailer to haul it. Oh, and the paint job. If you ever took more than 10 steps away from it in the woods you'd need a metal detector to find it! Look at those flutes. In a rain storm they most probably act like rain gutters. Sheese! I suppose you're gonna tell me that Kirby built that thing!

Now that you're all pissed off

I'll tell you that all that is remaining for Kirby to do on mine is machine the brake , same model as yours, and put the pieces together.

I'm really looking forward to the honeymoon with that sucker

freebird63,

While the 300 RUM is tough to beat, rifling twist and bullet weights get to be a consideration. Also when souped up a bit it's barrel burning tendencies increase considerably.

I've been shooting a 338 RUM w/300 Hybrids and SMKs out two 1200 yards. Its a simple straight forward REM 700 LH (not trued) with a single shot follower glued in. And a tupperware stock. The only thing out of the ordinary is the Holland recoil lug and QD Brake. The only think Kirby has had to do with it was sell me the new 338 RUM sporter weight barrel for 40 bucks.

Velocity is a bit short of an Edge (100-150 FPS slower) but better than 2700. If it didn't shoot so very very well with such great consistency I'd consider an 28" heavy fluted barrel.

I flat lucked out on it being a shooter. If you want to guarantee a shooter then get Kirby to work it from the get go.

I have a 270 AM from Kirby on a 721 Rem action which still exceeds his 1/2 moa accuracy goal for many more shots than it should have.

The 375 AM from the ground up custom is quite a chunk of change and with the limited selection of reasonably priced bullets (350 SMK) it won't get you any further than a 338 AM. The 338 AX is something to think about also. The cartridge that would make the most sense, all things considered, would be the Edge.

The Edge because it is a wildcat, which forces one to have to go to a gunsmith to put it together. The gunsmith is THE key. Most if not all of the smiths who hang around here could make a turd shot with scary accuracy.

I'm sure that which ever direction you decide to go will be a good one.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

Just recently found out that Idaho has a weight limit on hunting guns, your total weight cannot excede 16lbs. Don't know how much that gun cinch has weighs??
Am sure I will be better prepared for next years hunting season.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

freebird63,

It takes a special build to get one of those things under the 16# limit fully dressed. An NXS or other heavy scope makes it even tougher.

That is why I suggest just stepping up what you already have to work with.

Kirby has no problem making one of his AMs come in under 16s though. I think that he has a version of his Raptor action (which by the way is a better deal than a trued Remmy 700) and a specially designed Lilja barrel.

I've found that when configured properly the rifle doesn't need "all that" weight to be LR effective.

My 270 AM @ 12# is like shooting a 22LR. It just twitches at the shot. The 338 RUM I mentioned shooting the 300gr bullet at just over 2700 does a bit more than twitch but I can spot my shots from a prone position from 100yds on out.

The difference in rig weight raises its ugly head in the field where one is not always shooting from a putting green. From a hide this is no problem as I groom the surface. When doing walk and stalk it takes a little more care with the shooting spot. Nature is not always convenient but a little care goes a long way.

BTW, I ignored the 16# limit for my build. If I really want to meet that requirement I can have changes made later.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Gold Member

I'm a 338 fan, so no real comment on the 30 cal options..... but as far as Kirby is concerned, you cannot go wrong having him build whatever you decide on. Kirby has built 2 338Kahn's for me and and a 510 Allen Mag. I'm in the process of working out the details on 338AM on his new Raptor action as well. Save your pennies, get Kirby to build your rifle, you won't be sorry!