Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Kirby, 22 AM ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2005, 09:08 AM

Kirby, 22 AM ?

Anything happening with the smaller calibers in AM's ?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Kirby, 22 AM ?

This is strictly my opinion, but that catagory has been done to a fair thee well. Performance wise, it's all variations on the same theme, from the Weatherby Rocket to necking the 243 Winchester. Some of the extreme examples seem to be good for 400 rounds of accurate fire?

I have a 22-250 Ackley and believe there is a reason for the popularity of that cartridge. It's practical, and easy to make, and the performance is great. So, why reinvent the wheel?

Good hunting. LB
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM
SPONSOR

Kirby is doing something in a 22AM,

Richard Graves has made a huge 22 cal bullet, something over 100grs if I remember correctly.

Check back posts for more details.

Good Luck
Steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Kirby can answer this better than I, but I e-mailed him on this round and his intent is for a long range yote round using 100 and 107gr. .22 cal bullets. I think he said the bc's were in the .600-.620 range. He can fill in the rest as I don't want to put down the wrong info.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dr14,

I have the 224 Allen Mag reamer in shop ready to roll. Just need to find time to build a test rifle!!!

Compared to the conventional big 22 cals, well there will not even be a comparision to be honest. Not even worth comparing to the much smaller cals.

This one is really an experiment in what we can do with the 22 cal.

Richard has made a beautiful 100 gr ULD RBBT in .224" that is built off a much heavier jacket then what is found in the current 80 gr match 224 bullets. As such it will handle higher velocities and should also survive the 3 groove barrels better then the light jacketed match bullets.

Will also make it a much better medium game bullet for game up to deer size critters.

One of the main reasons for developing this round was to offer the coyote hunters extreme range but also with a bullet that would not blow up on impact and cause severe pelt damage. We will see how it performs.

This pic shows the big 100 gr ULD RBBT in between two 7mm Accubonds, the 140 gr on the left and 160 on the right. Yes that 224 bullet is a bit longer then that 140 gr 7mm Accubond!!! I will not post any BC predictions but I will say it will SMOKE both of these bullets in BC value by a fair margin!!!

The problem with the most of the big 22 cal wildcats are that there was nothing different in their design. Either the designer wanted 4500 fps with a 55 gr bullet or they were limited to 3500-3600 fps with an 80 gr bullet at very most because the bullet simply could not handle anything faster.

Most in fact will top out in the 3400-3500 fps range because of bullet integrity issues.

Everyone pretty much has settled down and said, well, we know the limits of the 224 caliber family of wildcats, NOT US!!!

This may well be a flop, who know until bullets are in the air. But the idea of a 22 caliber round offering ballistics far superior to a 30-378 with a 180 gr Ballistic tip is interesting to me and I am confident we will reach these levels of performance with this bullet.

This is not a high volume round so if you want to shoot P. Dogs get a 223 AI or standard 22-250.

If you want a light pronghorn rifle or the ultimate long range predator rifle which is relatively pelt friendly, this may be the beast for you.

After this there will also be a 6mm AM version as well based on the same case design.

Another round Richard and myself are designing goes away from the current Allen Magnum family of rounds. This one will be a 25 cal wildcat designed specifically with barrel life and long range performance in mind for higher volume shooting and competition use.

I am not offering the parent case as of yet but I will say it will use the 142 and 156 gr ULD RBBT WIldcat Bullets with Dan Liljas new 1-7 twist barrel.

Performance predictions are that this new wildcat will far outperform the standard 6.5-284 loaded with 140-142 gr VLD bullets while offering nearly identical throat life. This one will also be a great deer and yote hammer but it will be designed for single shot rifles mainly.

This all will happen this winter after big game season when I get a chance to take a breath or two.

Have a good day,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM
SPONSOR

Kirby,
I wonder why I am not surprised? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I hope it meets your expectations, and then some.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

One of the main reasons for developing this round was to offer the coyote hunters extreme range but also with a bullet that would not blow up on impact and cause severe pelt damage. We will see how it performs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I understand the application. If my post above seems hostile, I apologize.

Now, what sort of twist have you decided on, and do you have any idea of the range of bullets suitable, or is the one pictured pretty much it? It appears that you would need considerable freebore. Can you make an educated guess on barrel life?

I'd also like to know what you consider extreme range? I realize that everybody has a different idea, but what do you consider to be the outer limit, and is it based on remaining foot pounds, or when velocity degrades to the point of instability?

Have you decided on a parent case, or optimum case capacity? What would be the minimum barrel length, for optimum performance?

As a specialize item, it has merit, as long a person understands how far a coyote can move between ignition and impact.

And, yes. I personally have a bit of a problem with some folks banging away at extreme distances, which I define as around 600 yards for coyotes. In many cases, (.224") rather than blow ups, runners are a bigger problem, and I don't like to shoot at anything that I don't expect to recover. But, that's just me.

Good hunting. LB