For those of you that have followed my series 'Results: Load Development & Accurizing" here is an update from my recent trip out west.
Please check out my previous 4 posts at "Results: Load Development & Accurizing (part 1,2,3 & 4).
My annual hunting trip out west with my father and uncle was interesting to say the least... Summing it up briefly; Blizzard, 46" of snow, 60 mph winds, 7 hour drive took 12, 10' drifts, digging sheep and cows out of snow drifts (still alive after 3 days), digging trucks/fourwheelers/trailers out of snow banks (many times), hundreds of does, a lot of small bucks, walking 10 plus miles/day in snow, tresspassing hunters, a lot of successful long distance shooting 4 does and a nice whitetail buck!
Anyways, here are my results:
I killed 4 does at 327, 424, 448 & 562 yards. (All but 1 were one shot kills, and the doe that took 2 shots would have died if I gave her 5 more seconds. I deemed a quick follow up shot necessary at that range as I couldnt tell where I hit her. both shots were through the lungs!)
I also killed a very nice buck at 320 yards.
I couldnt believe the damage my 180 gr accubond caused out of my 300 wby mag. Below is picture of one of the does I killed (this one at 424 yards). She was quartering away and this was the entrance hole.... Two of the other does had the same results on quartering away shots. Broadside shots were not nearly as big, I believe it could be more of a ripping action as the bullet entered the hide at an angle rather than straight on.
My plans for the winter for some further rifle work are as follows:
1. level reticle (I was experiencing some low and left stringing shots so I think it might be my reticle is not level)
2. shave out the pressure point and float the barrel to see if it floats. (I will make a clay molding of the current pressure points so I can replace these if the gun does not shoot as well without)
3. Glass bed the rifle action.
4. Install level on scope tube.
5. Paint the stock either matte brown or olive green with Krylon's ultra matte camo paint.
I also have plans for my abolt 7RM, model 7 7mm-08, sendero 7 RUM and WIN 308...