Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

keeping brass separate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

keeping brass separate.

I have to come up with something. My kids and I are both shooting .243's and I've been mixing up the brass or I'm thinking i am In which case, if I have any doubts I put the brass in the Ruger pile as it has the bigger chamber.

What ways have you found to keep the brass separate when using 2 different rifles in the same chambering?

I've already thought about just using only nickel brass in one.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: keeping brass separate.

When I acquire new brass, I put it into the plastic ammo boxes and label the box with a LOT#.

e.g. 65284-LAPUA-20110829-001

Then, I track the treatment (case prep, load data, rifle used, # firings, TIR, etc) of every LOT# in a spreadsheet for the life of the brass.

-- richard
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

I've always kept my brass in same lots, same headstamp for the same reasons as Richard stated. I have only once had two rifles of the same Caliber/Cartridge. I kept the brass seprate.

I do have a friend that have multiple rifles in a given cartridge. His example is the .30-06. Dad has one, as well as each of his 2 sons. To keep it simple, they all shoot the same loads and all use the same brass. They just full length size every time, this way they fit all of the rifles. He does keep track of the amount of times loaded, etc.... and all his brass is properly preped. Seems to work for them. I have doubts about the accuracy, but they don't shoot past 300yds anyway.

Dan
Old 08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
I've always kept my brass in same lots, same headstamp for the same reasons as Richard stated. I have only once had two rifles of the same Caliber/Cartridge. I kept the brass seprate.

I do have a friend that have multiple rifles in a given cartridge. His example is the .30-06. Dad has one, as well as each of his 2 sons. To keep it simple, they all shoot the same loads and all use the same brass. They just full length size every time, this way they fit all of the rifles. He does keep track of the amount of times loaded, etc.... and all his brass is properly preped. Seems to work for them. I have doubts about the accuracy, but they don't shoot past 300yds anyway.

Dan
My only concern is getting the Ruger brass loaded for my Browning, getting out hunting and miss on something 'cuz I can't chamber the round.

I've had that moment, "Ok what brass does this go to?" 3 times in the past 2 months. I don't have a problem when they're in their own marked box only when they come out of the box when they can get confused.
My system yesterday was left pocket browning brass, right pocket Ruger brass. I thought I had unloaded the Ruger pocket but at then end had 2 in the left.
I guess what I really need is a way to mark the brass. I think I'll magic marker the bottoms of all the brass to one of the rifles and label the tumbler with whatever brass is in there just in case it's a few days till I get back to it, ahh who am I kidding it'd only take an hour or two till I forgot.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Try using difrent headstamps for each rifle, then write it down They don't wash off.

Dan
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Try using difrent headstamps for each rifle, then write it down They don't wash off.

Dan

Problem is, I got all rem brass. Maybe get different brass when all the rem brass finds it's way into the Ruger pile or I'll use that as an indicator that it's time to full length size and start over.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

If you can't stay organized, then full length size and chambering won't be a problem.

You may have to compromise on a load that works well across all of the rifles.

-- richard