Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

just picked up a 300 ultra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: just picked up a 300 ultra

l loaded a few yesterday. I used re25 and put 95 grains with some various 180s and 93 with some 200s. I dont know if these loads are a bit on the conservitive side though. What about seating dept. I seated to just fit in the mag well. Not much else a guy can do. Bullets still didnt seem to touch the rifling. Are these guns long throated?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
l loaded a few yesterday. I used re25 and put 95 grains with some various 180s and 93 with some 200s. I dont know if these loads are a bit on the conservitive side though. What about seating dept. I seated to just fit in the mag well. Not much else a guy can do. Bullets still didnt seem to touch the rifling. Are these guns long throated?
95 rl25 is full throttle with a 180; I usually use 93 or 94 grains. At 93 rl25 and a 180 hornady in rp brass with a 215 seated to 3.650". I'm getting 3280 fps already. I've shot 94 and 95 also; I had a box of 94 grain loads out and my brother shot a few in his sendero and actually switched loads as mine were better.

As far as the 200's, I'd load a few at lower charges as Nosler tops out at 91.5 grains with a 200 and rl25 in the rum. The Nosler book closely tracks what my bdl will eat safely so I consult it before I try anything new.

As far as throating, yep they have some throat ( usually takes a 3.8" cartridge to hit the lands), and yep you'll want to let her jump a bit. I'm getting 1" groups at 200 yards with my rum off of sand. I'm jumping .15" with most loads.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

I guess the reason i stated that my loads were conservitive is i did something I rarely do. I did an internet seach and found maybe a 1/2 dozen places with data. I threw out the real high end ones and the real light ones and decided on these. While i was out in the loading room i looked in the hornady loading manual and these loads were spot on with there recomended max loads and I guess my experience especially with listed loads in the manuals for magnum rifles is that there usualy not just mild but extreamly mild. Ive seen listed loads for the 264 7mags and wby mags thats 5 grains less then some of the same loads out of old manuals from the same manufacture. could be though considering this is a relatively new round that the loading data is close to being proper for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
95 rl25 is full throttle with a 180; I usually use 93 or 94 grains. At 93 rl25 and a 180 hornady in rp brass with a 215 seated to 3.650". I'm getting 3280 fps already. I've shot 94 and 95 also; I had a box of 94 grain loads out and my brother shot a few in his sendero and actually switched loads as mine were better.

As far as the 200's, I'd load a few at lower charges as Nosler tops out at 91.5 grains with a 200 and rl25 in the rum. The Nosler book closely tracks what my bdl will eat safely so I consult it before I try anything new.

As far as throating, yep they have some throat ( usually takes a 3.8" cartridge to hit the lands), and yep you'll want to let her jump a bit. I'm getting 1" groups at 200 yards with my rum off of sand. I'm jumping .15" with most loads.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

180 accubonds about .040 off the lands or to mag length (whichever is shorter) with retumbo and CCI mag primers... If it won't shoot these, probably won't shoot at all. For a gun like this, I just shoot 3 shot groups. If they are not together with 3 shots, 2 more won't bring them any closer...