Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

just picked up a 300 ultra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Gold Member

just picked up a 300 ultra

went to the buddy gunshop to see what he had and almost overlooked this deal. I glanced at it and thought the tag said 3006 and didnt need another 06. I was about to leave and he asked if i had looked at the ultra. told him i didnt see one. He grabbed this off the wall and it was a blued bdl. told me it was brand new in the box when he got it and still even had the plastic wrap on it. Guy traded it and 4 boxes of shells on something else. had to chuckle as 3 of the boxes were reduced recoil ammo. He must have just chickened out and traded it at a pretty big loss. Buddy sells me stuff usually for 50 bucks more then he paid for it and i got the gun and ammo for a trade probably worth 500 bucks.

I took it home and put it in a cdl stock i had. I know guys not the long range rig most of you would do but its a hunting gun to me and i still like walnut and blued steal thankyou. I took the sights off and will bed and float it next week. Looks pretty good in that cdl stock though.

Looked all over the sight and theres not much load data on here for the 300 ultra. Anyone have any good links to some ideas to get me started? Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: just picked up a 300 ultra

Try starting with Federal 215 premium large rifle magnum primer, dump in 90g of Retumbo powder and stuff in a 208g A-Max. Run it through a crono. and see what you got. I use all the same stuff with 92g and MY gun is shooting in the 2's doing 3050......Nice score on the rifle.....Have Fun.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

all i have is re25 and 7828. I founds some more 25 and some ramshot magnum but thats about all thats available right now. Ive got a little bit of 22 left and cant find more and some h1000 and retumbo but again not enough to bother starting to do load developement with.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
went to the buddy gunshop to see what he had and almost overlooked this deal. I glanced at it and thought the tag said 3006 and didnt need another 06. I was about to leave and he asked if i had looked at the ultra. told him i didnt see one. He grabbed this off the wall and it was a blued bdl. told me it was brand new in the box when he got it and still even had the plastic wrap on it. Guy traded it and 4 boxes of shells on something else. had to chuckle as 3 of the boxes were reduced recoil ammo. He must have just chickened out and traded it at a pretty big loss. Buddy sells me stuff usually for 50 bucks more then he paid for it and i got the gun and ammo for a trade probably worth 500 bucks.

I took it home and put it in a cdl stock i had. I know guys not the long range rig most of you would do but its a hunting gun to me and i still like walnut and blued steal thankyou. I took the sights off and will bed and float it next week. Looks pretty good in that cdl stock though.

Looked all over the sight and theres not much load data on here for the 300 ultra. Anyone have any good links to some ideas to get me started? Thanks guys.

Look on the Hodgdon web site under reload data. they have lots of info.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Bronze Member

I have had great luck with the above mentioned load of Retumbo and 208 Amax's in a BDL. I have a Sendero that likes the 215 Bergers much better than the Amax's. RL 25 is a good powder. My 2 guns loved Retumbo, so I never felt the need to use up barrel life chasing after a load using RL 25, but what few loads I tried, all showed promise. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Bronze Member

I just started reloading a few months ago and my ultra was one of the first guns i couldnt wait to see how it would shoot with reloads....and it was worth it. Mine was a bdl I put in a Boyds FT. Found a sendero barrel on here for 100 bucks, and threw a RWS brake on it. I loaded some 168 hornady and 220 SMK. Both shot well, but the 220 SMK over 91 gr of H1000 was exactly what the doctor ordered. I load mine to 3.8" bc I have never used the mags on any of my bolt guns. I dont like for my bullets to be jarred around in the mag assembly.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

lloyd-- pm me if you want to work with your 30 rum with rl; it's pretty much all I use in mine

I've got a lh BDL in 30 rum and my brother is shooting a senderoII