Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Just ordered some goodies to build a rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Just ordered some goodies to build a rifle

My dad has a Brown Bear hunt coming up in September and ask me to have a rifle built for him that matched these criteria: Big bore, good velocity for taking shots out to 4-500 yards, light weight and somewhat compact (24") and does not require a brake and must be weather resistant and left handed. My first attempt at this was purchasing a weather warrior and a barrel etc and I was going to do it all myself but an unfortunate fire in his shot put my back at square 1. Still have the savage rifle but couldnt fall in love with the idea so started over.

I ordered a left handed browning a bolt stainless stalker, and a Benchmark #4 in stainless and fluted. I have a 375 ruger reamer and throater coming along with guages and I am going to have it throated to shoot 270gr TSX. It will have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm Leupold with B&C reticle witting in talley rings. Should be a great all weather bear thumper. I will post pics when its done. The work is being done by Brian Jeppson over at Shoot-Long | Long Range Rifles, Long Range Shooting Great guy to deal with.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Just ordered some goodies to build a rifle

Rock on Mike, Keep us posted. I'd like to see how the 375R does at 400-500 yds.

t