Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Just ordered a Rock Creek barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just ordered a Rock Creek barrel

How long is this missile ?
can you post a pic with it next to a regular bullet?

I was thinking about a 7mm Allen mag with 200gr pills but this may change things
Old 12-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
he doesn't publish BC numbers. The only way to find out is to shoot!

[/ QUOTE ]

When are you bullet makers going to come up with a bullet that has the same BC for every rifle and at all velocity ranges?? I mean really, come on........Oh and we want them all to group in the .100's from all our rifles also. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

JDJones,

Just to keep you interested, there will be a 300 Allen Xpress and a 300 Allen Magnum here very soon designed specifically around these bullets!!

The 300 Allen Xpress is the 7mm AM necked up to 30 cal with very slightly more body taper to aid in higher pressure load extraction. Want to take full advantage of the strength of the Lapua case this time!!

If the Allen Xpress is based on the 7mm AM, I think you can guess what the 300 Allen Magnum is based on!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Should be interesting. Richard and I want a 1.0 BC bullet launched at 3300 fps!! Will have to see if it happens.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
How long is this missile ?

[/ QUOTE ]
About 1.86."
[ QUOTE ]
can you post a pic with it next to a regular bullet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry it's kind of dark.

From the left, 200 AB, 210 SMK, 240 SMK, 290 WC RBBT and for comparison on the far right, 300 SMK (.338 cal).

With a SD equivalent to a 350 grain 338 or 800 grain 50 cal and that pointy shape, I'm predicting its BC will be.........."adequate." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

sambo3006,
Very interesting!!! Keep us posted!

Kirby,
It's late and I'm not thinking right. I undestand the Allen Xpress, please explain on the Allen Magnum. Thanks!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Dave Wilson,
No need to appologize. I didn't think you were being a smartass, I just wanted to clarify what I based my velocity estimate on. That's the trouble with not talking face to face, easy to misinterpret tone. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I tend to be rather matter of fact when I type. This barrel also will have a thin land design that Rock Creek developed at the request of Kirby Allen. This was recommended by both parties to me for this barrel. I assume that this thin land design places less stress on the bullet which as you said will have a long bearing surface.

JDJones,
I don't have one of these babies in my sweaty hands yet, but I do know that Richard has a new 30 cal 300 gr ULD RBBT that is 1.8" long. The 290 shouldn't be far behind on length. If you talk to him, he can probably make just about what ever you want (within the laws of physics!). He offers heavier jackets and bonded bullets also.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Just for question, Why dont you make the 300am off the 408 cheytac. Maybe a shortened version or just the full blown version. either way it might be able to drop a mouse within 100 inches. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]