Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

Sounds like i better get to ordering parts! Will the 1-9" twist still allow the use of bullets down to 180gr?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefreak8 View Post
Sounds like i better get to ordering parts! Will the 1-9" twist still allow the use of bullets down to 180gr?
Yes, but IMO, shooting a 180 bullet (unless it's a mono) is a waste of the 300 RUM cartridge. And even with mono's I like to go heavier.

Some may say you might get "over stabilization" with some lighter, shorter bullets. When it comes to hunting or shooting at short to mid ranges there is no such thing as over stabilization. At longer ranges your bullet will not "nose over" in its flight path but I haven't read any technical articles showing this to be an actual problem.

A 9 twist would be a very good twist for the 230 Berger's which IMO is the best bullet offering for the 300 RUM. If you want to shoot them, get a 9 twist, it's better to have a little too much than a little too little twist.

If you want to shoot lighter bullets, get a 10 twist.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Krieger has a 10" twist 4 groove 28" long 1.250" straight blank on the shelf. They can contour that however you want and get it to you in probably less than 30 days.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

I was kind of wanting to try the 5c rifling but it would be nice to have the barrel sooner than March. I was also thinking of going to a 30" barrel for a better powder burn. Not sure ill gain much though
I'll definitely look into that krieger! Thanks for the heads up
Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Gold Member

Tactical Operations is the only company I know of that gives a 1/4" group at 100 yds guarantee on a rifle. They use Krieger 4 groove barrels.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

I just found a Bartlein 5R Barrel 1-10" twist, 30" finish length, 1.250"x5.00" taper to .900" for $401shipped and in stock. After a little digging they seem like they are on par with the rest of the barrel mfg. I like the contour. Weight is going to be around 8lbs. I am actually leaning towards a longer barrel because I am considering chambering the rifle in the 300 tomahawk (300 rum improved). I think the small amount of added powder will give a slight edge with the 210-230gr bullets I would like to use. It seems the 300 tomahawk requires little case prep and I can still fire 300rum ammo. Also seems the 30" length will help with powder burn. any helpful insight regarding Bartlein barrels or the 300 tomahawk?

also regarding the twist, the research I have done indicates Nosler recommends 1-11" twist for the 210gr LRAB and Berger suggests 1-10" for the 230 hybrid. I think I would like to stick with the 1-10" twist for now. Just in case I need to shoot some of the factory 180gr rounds in a pinch.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

The Bartlein is in my top two for barrel choices. Tied with Krieger.

There is only so much powder the 30 caliber is ever going to use no matter how big the case is or how long the barrel is. The 300RUM is right there. The 30-378 of over the line for me. I wouldn't suggest getting complicated with this one. The 300RUM holds it's own just fine. 3200fps with 230's in the longer barrels. That really should do it. Then again if you want something different the Tomahawk certainly is different.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.