Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

Well I just sent the payment for my Defiance Deviant action! I am building a 300 RUM, 1000yrds is my goal and I would like to get the barrel ordered since it seems that will take the longest to obtain. I have chose to go with a Broughton 5C barrel 28" finish length and I plan on having it fluted. I would like to keep the barrel weight around 6lbs and I think I like the heavy palma contour Broughton has.... but I want as much rigidity as possible. Is this a good choice on contour for a rifle that will be a target/hunting rifle?? Also I plan on shooting 210 LRAB or Berger vld's is the 1-10" twist the correct twist? Might have to shoot lighter bullets occasionally. I really appreciate any guidance offered. thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

I did a 28" Brux heavy Palma contour on 6.V-284. I chose that over the broughton 5.75!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

I was told by Broughton that if I ordered now I would have it by march. Are all barrel manufactures lead times about this long?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

If you are thinking McMillan for a stock you need to get it going right away. I'm still waiting on stocks ordered in January.

Tumbleweed just had a 300RUM done up and it's working pretty well for him. I would see what he did for a barrel and twist.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

I think I'm going to go with a Manners T2A stock.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefreak8 View Post
I think I'm going to go with a Manners T2A stock.
Your gonna want to order that right away to if you think you will have your barrel by march.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a very nice rig you're putting together. I went with a 27" Broughton 5C 5.5 Med Varmint Sporter non-fluted. If I had to do it again, I might lean to a longer and heavier barrel. I would definitely go with a 9 twist, although the 10 twist barrels seem to shoot the 230's well, I have read a couple of issues with those bullets in 10 twists. A 9 twist will also allow me to shoot a heavier high BC monometal. 10 Twists do not shoot the CEB 200 gr C22's well at sea level.

The first 2 Broughton's I ordered came ahead of schedule in about 3 months the last one I ordered this past spring came in about a month late. So did the Manner's stock I ordered from Stocky's. Ordered both about the same time and both came in about the same time a little late.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams