Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Just a little teaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Just a little teaser

I'm kinda jacked to see someone else taking up the 270, I think the 175 Matrix VLD would shine in that case capacity but the 165 may be on the edge if you twist it up to fast, I think they have had jackets come apart in the 3250-3300 fps range. The 170 Matrix ULD looks good but I don't have anything that would hump them hard enough to test them fully since my WSM would probably only push it at 3050 fps or so.

I think the Berger 170 would be a stud, they've shot them and hunted with them a little so if it weren't for the insanity we'd be enjoying them!!

I can bring you a selection of boolits if you need them.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'm kinda jacked to see someone else taking up the 270, I think the 175 Matrix VLD would shine in that case capacity but the 165 may be on the edge if you twist it up to fast, I think they have had jackets come apart in the 3250-3300 fps range. The 170 Matrix ULD looks good but I don't have anything that would hump them hard enough to test them fully since my WSM would probably only push it at 3050 fps or so.

I think the Berger 170 would be a stud, they've shot them and hunted with them a little so if it weren't for the insanity we'd be enjoying them!!

I can bring you a selection of boolits if you need them.
I'll have to call CEB and find out the recommended twist. I'm guessing we're looking in the 7- 8 range. If a 7 is required I will probably go with a gain twist. In either case it will be 5R/5C rifling which should be a little easier on them than a standard 6 groove.

If you could bring maybe 3 of bullets of whatever that would be great. Also, my die is a FL bushing die and I have no bushing. These dies came about 3 months earlier than I expected so I'm a little unprepared. And it would be nice to know the seated OD before I order a titanium Nitride bushing so I get it right the first time. If you had a bushing I could borrow, that would be great. Heck, I could bring my Rock Chucker and size and seat them right there.

Now I gotta figure out a way to pay for this project after just finishing up 3 others

I am accepting donations for a good cause

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Kirby.

The 270 Montana is based of the 300 Dakota, similar to your AX, but I think a little less case capacity. I bumped the shoulder back abut .008 and decreased the diameter about .003 with close to the same taper. I'm going with a 40* shoulder and hoping to get a .330 long neck to ease the throat wear. The reason I decreased the case capacity was that the factory brass was a few thou smaller than the Dakota specs. I think this will help with case strength and life and it will need minimal fire forming after the initial sizing. I'm hoping that I can do load development and fire forming at the same time.

Matrix has a 170 gr bullet and CEB has a 165 gr bullet. Hopefully Berger will come online with a good heavy hybrid but I'm not holding my breath.
Yes, the berger will come but I to am not holding my breath!!!

Some lots of 300 Dakota brass were quite soft but others have been extremely strong. I think the current brass is pretty good so you should get good results with your wildcat. I have only shot the 165 and 175 gr Matrix and at velocities under 3200 fps they did very well. My 270 Allen Magnum chewed up the 175 gr version but some rifles shot the 165 gr very well, not sure the difference but figure its just a matter of length and RPMs.

Have fun!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Never even remotely considered a 270 anything-until now. Good Luck! Very cool!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I'll have to call CEB and find out the recommended twist. I'm guessing we're looking in the 7- 8 range. If a 7 is required I will probably go with a gain twist. In either case it will be 5R/5C rifling which should be a little easier on them than a standard 6 groove.

If you could bring maybe 3 of bullets of whatever that would be great. Also, my die is a FL bushing die and I have no bushing. These dies came about 3 months earlier than I expected so I'm a little unprepared. And it would be nice to know the seated OD before I order a titanium Nitride bushing so I get it right the first time. If you had a bushing I could borrow, that would be great. Heck, I could bring my Rock Chucker and size and seat them right there.

Now I gotta figure out a way to pay for this project after just finishing up 3 others

I am accepting donations for a good cause
I'll grab my 270 cal bushing set, you could probably clamp a press to a table around there.

I know I have a good number of 165 VLD's and 170 ULD's but I don't know about the 175's, the 175's are just a stretched 165. The 170's are made with the stronger Corbin jacket, they look much like the old Wildcats.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Yes, the berger will come but I to am not holding my breath!!!

Some lots of 300 Dakota brass were quite soft but others have been extremely strong. I think the current brass is pretty good so you should get good results with your wildcat. I have only shot the 165 and 175 gr Matrix and at velocities under 3200 fps they did very well. My 270 Allen Magnum chewed up the 175 gr version but some rifles shot the 165 gr very well, not sure the difference but figure its just a matter of length and RPMs.

Have fun!!!
Thanks Kirby, I'm sure this wil be a lot of fun!

I got this brass a couple years and am very impressed with the looks and feel. It is Hornady made, or so I was told and it looks like good strong tough brass. Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Never even remotely considered a 270 anything-until now. Good Luck! Very cool!
Thanks, glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'll grab my 270 cal bushing set, you could probably clamp a press to a table around there.

I know I have a good number of 165 VLD's and 170 ULD's but I don't know about the 175's, the 175's are just a stretched 165. The 170's are made with the stronger Corbin jacket, they look much like the old Wildcats.
Sweet, I will bring the press. Lets load up a couple of the 170's and we can pull them after I get the measurements. We can take some cool factor pics too

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmmmm,While chew'in the fat with Grit, when he fitted a take off 270 AM bbl cause I shot out the original, we figgered a cartridge of your Montana design would be very close to ideal.

I didn't know about Kirby's 270 AX at the time. I'd best check the APS web page.

How do the AX and Montana cartridges compare to the AM?

I have a hunting life time supply of original Wildcats in 169.5 and 195 weights and am hankerin' to max out the new Nosler 150 ABLR. At AM velocities it hangs right with the heavier offerings.

270 Noslers of any type and weight at any velocity I pushed them to, in the original bbl, could not be made to come apart and were deadly accurate. The increase in from 0.496 to 0.625? Is a huge difference.

A 270 cartridge that would push the ABLR upwards of around 3500 and not be limited to WC-870 and US-869 would flat be a dream.

In the AM case I have been getting away with 7828ssc behind 140s and 150s but wouldn't even think (again) of using any stick powers with heavier offerings. [powder bridging, I think, may exceed proof loads!]