Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Just getting started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 04:45 PM

Re: Just getting started

Hey, thanks everyone. I am planning on ordering a book(or two) this weekend. I definitely want to load very precise ammo but I am worried about trying to start off too fast. I messed up and typed "RCBS" Ultra Mag, and I meant the Redding Ultra Mag. The Rock chucker is too short for the ultra isn't it? That was what I thought about first but then I read the dimensions are barely too short. Thanks Budman, what press do you use for your ultra mag? I hate to say I will probably be bugging you soon since you have experience with the ultra. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 01:00 PM

That's cool, I happen to be fishing in Florida right now, leave tomorrow. Hotel I'm at has wirless access, pretty cool. I've been catching some monster bass, got a 10 pounder tuesday. That's good timing it will give me some time to get started on things. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Bronze Member

Al
I am currently using the Rock Chucker but it isn't fun. I have to wait till the wife gets over all the other tool purchases befor I order. Plan to order the Redding this time. Midway I believe has them for around $200. I will not be by a computer after next week for 4 weeks hopefully as it's time to HEAD SOUTH [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] She lets me hunt all I can but she gets 4 weeks in Florida in exchange. Thank God I love fishing too or I would go nuts.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

I would say Meichele has it again. Now, if we are talking what we would buy, then I would buy better than what most would buy. If you are wanting to load for longer ranges, than you will not be happy with the everyday stuff. And what most seem to be missing, you will save money in the long run by not purchasing things that can't do what you want of them. You started good with the Redding press, now I would buy only Redding dies, or maybe Forster or Bonanza, preferably the Comp. Grade dies, or a type that excepts the bushings. Also, I would buy a Wilson brass trimmer, that will do some other jobs as well. It is the best, and not as expensive as some would think. Some type of "Culver" powder measure. A good beam scale, Redding shell holders, a powder trickeler, and mayhap a good neck turner. Also I would purchase an inside primer pocket uniformer (I like Russ Hayden's) and a flash hole uniformer. Sinclair's is good, but expensive. Go to there web site and order a catalog. They do have a great catalog. I haven't found any reloading tools to complicated that I could not figure it out. I started reloading by purchasing a Rockchuker reloading kit, and will honestly say that I am not satisfied with it. It may be ok with everyday folks, but when you learn what it will not do, you soon understand. You will never get your money back for any reloading purchase that you make. Think long and hard what you want to do, and ask lots of questions. Ask why people use what they do, and what they prefer, and why. Then make YOUR judgement by what you think YOU want to do. The guys on this site are great, and a big help, good luck!! We are all on the same path, lets try and not make some of the same mistakes that others before us did!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the input Littletoes. I think I will go ahead and buy the brass trimmer, neck turner the flash hole uniformer. I know it maybe confusing to try and start with all of this equipment and learn to use it right, but I would rather tough it out now so I can be making better ammo sooner. I am the type that would not be satisfied if I knew I wasn't doing everything possible to make the best ammo. I have only begun to scratch the surface of all the good info in this forum. I log on to read something and end up on here for hours. Thanks everyone
Old 02-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Gold Member

Don't mean to steal the OP's thread, but just a quick question: For F/L sizing of magnum brass, would a Forster Co-Ax do the trick, or is something larger like a Rockchucker Supreme, Big Boss, or Ultra-Mag in order?

Thanks,

Monte
Old 02-17-2004, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

I load for 30-378 and 300 RUM with a plain jane RCBS rockchucker. COL 3.762 with the 30-378 and 200gr Accubonds. 3.695 for the RUM, same bullet.

FL sizing is no problem but you have to "duck" the bullet and case together into the die when sliding it in the shell holder for the seating operation. Which is what I think Budman is referring to as not being fun. But it works.
HPA