Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Just getting started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2004, 07:34 PM

Just getting started

Hey guys, Im new here but Ive been reading a bunch of your posts and I appreciate everything, learned a lot. Ive been shooting a 7mm ultra mag for about 6 months at 500 yds. Ive been reading a lot on reloading lately and I am thinking a good press for me would be the RCBS Ultra mag. For everything else I am getting confused. It would be great to have some suggestions for the other tools. I'm thinking the RCBS case master for sure but the dies, neck turners and everything else im not sure. What else would I be smart to start with? Thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Just getting started

Al,

Welcome aboard!

A SHORT list of tools are of course, press and shell holders, priming tool, dies ect... Some things needed for the best accuracy are , a good set of calipers, primer flash hole deburrer and primer pocket uniformer. Neck turining tools, and perhaps a concentricity guage and a comparator.

Someone else can fill in the rest. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:35 PM

Buy a book on reloading first. Read it and than buy just the basics and learn how to reload. Once you get the basics down than start buying the extras as you feel they are needed. If you get to much stuff right from the start the process will get confusing and the chance of making a BAD mistake will increase. Don't want to do that. Buying something like a neck turner right of the hop will only cause you problems.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:26 PM

I agree with Harve. I would get a basic RCBS starter kit a good set of calipers and start makeing some bullets. As you go you'll figure out what you need,want ; case trimmer,neck turning tool ,concentricity gauge ect. ect. pretty soon you,ll have a whole room full of stuff too.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Gold Member

Meichele you said it best. If you are going to be loading ammo for extreme range you will be needing the tools Meichele was kind enough to mention. They aren't that hard to use and since you are in a learning mode it is best to start out right.You will not be satisfied with making inferior ammo,good quality ammo is the desire of most reloaders
I know and shoot with. i would have been grateful to have known what tools would do this right off the bat but I had to learn on my own over many years.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:03 AM

If you get all the extras like a primer pocket uniformer, neck turining tools, concentricity guage, a comparator, and other stuff right away, I hope you have a good friend that knows how to use them and will show you how to use it all. I have been reloading for over 10 years and still dont use most of the specality stuff. My handloads shoot MOA or better past 500y. Dont get too carried away until you need to.

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited by: Harv ]
Old 02-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Bronze Member

Al
I mustly started in the same boat. Wanted to start reloading some years ago and had no one to teach or draw references from. Made a lot of mistakes along the way but none with the actual loads, just equipment that I bought. I would sugeest making some minor purchases to start with. One good book is Hand Loading for Competition from www.zediker.com, this covers alot of the special tools and their use. he is rather biased but still a good read. www.sinclairintl.com will have all the tools you may want or need. Another good source for self tought is the 2 video series from David Tubb on reloading available from many sources but Seirra has them. The new RCBS will work great with the 7mmRUM. The rock chucker is a little sort for that case. I have been working with the RUM for about a year now and if you have questions just ask.