Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Jewll vs. Rifle Basix vs. Timney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Jewll vs. Rifle Basix vs. Timney

I know everybody raves about Jewell triggers. BUT, what makes them that much better than Timney or Rifle Basix triggers?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Jewll vs. Rifle Basix vs. Timney

Before I bought my jewell trigger I checked out a timney trigger at a gunsmiths shop and was not impressed. I emailed Larry Scott and ask him about some of the bad things I had heard about jewell triggers and he assured me that it would just fine. So I ordered one from Larry and I love it. I first put it in my sendero 300RUM as the X-Mark pro trigger sucks. Then I traded my sendero for a custom 280AI and put the jewell in it and it is currently set at about 12oz of pull. I know some will say thats too light.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenner43 View Post
I know everybody raves about Jewell triggers. BUT, what makes them that much better than Timney or Rifle Basix triggers?
I have used almost every aftermarket trigger made and there were good ones and very good ones
But the guys on this site kept urging me to try the Jewell.

Until you try one it is hard to believe how much better they are than the others. And they include
3 different springs so you can adjust them within a range that suits your needs.

The closest thing I ever shot to the Jewell was a Canjar (No longer Made).

The thing I like best about the Jewell in addition to the crisp break of it is the ability to adjust it
while still in the stock. (A must for target shooters where weight of pull is mandatory). and it is easy to access located in the trigger itself. the other adjustments are also accessible , just as
easy (On purpose).

There is one other negative thing about the Jewell, Once you put one on a rifle you will want to
replace all other triggers with one.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Have installed and used all three. Once I used the Jewell, I never looked back and bought another for both my long range rifles. I had some real trouble with 2 RB triggers and the Jewell is just way better than the $50 Timney I had. Not sure if Timney has better triggers than the two I had. Materials and mechanism, etc. are just much better in the Jewell. I particualrly liked the Rem 700 safety mechanism in the Jewell over stock trigger, timney or RB.

I would've been money ahead and had much less frustration overall if I'd just put down the coin for a Jewell in the first place. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Have a Jewell in my Edge and a Timney in my 7mag. Timney is actually every bit as crisp. I will probably do a Timney again on my next build.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

I use the rifle basix and have no complaints.

There are suped up honda's that can go as fast as a Ferrari!!!! but people stull buy Ferrari!!

Name brand, status, reputation, exct..
Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Safety is a concern also, I have made the other brands light and crisp but maybe not quite as safe as they should be.
Jewel would be my trigger of choice, but I have a couple of shilens on order to try them.