Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

An old thread revitalized.....

My take is there are a number of good aftermarket triggers, Jewell is just one. I prefer Volquartsen or ASI myself for drop in and with some skill and the proper tools and common sense, reworking a trigger group isn't beyond the realm of an experienced owner. thats handy with oilstones and small hand tools.... and of course enough mechanical aptitude to disassemble the trigger and put it back in working order again.......

Factory triggers (with the exception of the Savge Accurtigger) are all a product of mass produced machining and government mandated safety issues, why Savage has a patent on theirs and sell just the trigger group if you want to custom build....

I've stoned lots of sears, and smoothed machining marks plus removed side play and so long as it's done carefully, it's all good.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

I just bought my first Jewel trigger and to be honest, I was a little disappointed.

It is adjusted to about 8 oz and I couldn't seem to get the creep out of it. When I adjusted the creep out, I'd have to be careful on closing the bolt. If I closed it quickly, it went off. My father has a trigger of unknown brand on one of his rifles and it is much better.

I have since played with it some more and have improved it considerable but still can't slam the bolt home.

Last edited by steelshooter; 02-29-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: misunderstood
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member

I have Jewels on a few of my rifles as well as tuned factory triggers. I think the Jewel shines if you are working with a rig with a trigger weight under one or two pounds. I personally prefer more weight on my hunting rigs, generally in the 2.5-3# range. In this case, the Jewel may not offer an advantage to a well tuned factory trigger. I personally do not like the trigger width of the Jewel for hunting, it's too narrow for my trigger method, and I don't trust the built in safety design. Have had some problems. I think the trigger was designed primarily for Bench rest/target work. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Bronze Member

Savage is no longer the only rifle manufacturer with a sweet trigger on an OTC rifle. Weatherby Vanguard Series 2's now have a 2-stage match grade trigger that is extremely respectable if you like anything between 2.5 and 5 pounds. I feel pretty confidant that Weatherby doesn't have a $200.+ Jewel trigger on a $469.00 rifle?

There is great truth regarding the benefits of a good trigger and that most OTC rifles triggers are seriously poor quality. (I know, I have a Vanguard Series 1 with a stock trigger - geeesh - replaced with Timney) But .... for many people, that extra $100.00 dollars just might not be seriously justified. Timney makes a nice replacement trigger as well and for almost half the price of a Jewel for most rifles.

This thread is similar to one of the scope threads on here. I am thinking for many hunters and shooters, something like a $110.00 timney trigger would make one a very happy and satisified shooter and also leave some money in the wallet for the family or other products.

"To each his own", but you can also purchase a lesser costing Timney trigger and if you don't like it, re-sell for a $20.00 loss too.

This is just my personal humble thought: The idea of spending monies for ridiculous over-priced products when a much lesser product performs just as perfectly good? In these recent years, there is too much "kool-aid" drinking. Decide if you want to drink the kool-aid and support the over-inflated product prices or use some of your common sense, purchase a decent but not over-priced product and support your family.

Just my $.02 worth.
...and no I do not work for either Weatherby or Timney. I just care about fellow hunters and shooters.

338winmag
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

A very important consideration... Trigger pull on a field rifle and something that I didn't take into account...

My benchrest rifle has a very light pull trigger, ir's a reworked by me factory Ruger trigger that pulls at 2 pounds, however, I personally don't want that light pull on a field gun, 3-4.5 is perfectly acceptable, well within the scope of a Savage trigger group (IMO). Not familiar with Weatherby new manufacture, don't own one...

Light pull on a field gun (in the heat of the moment) might be a blown off foot...in my case at leasr......
Old 02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

I like a 2-3 # for hunting. I was out one day and it was -15, I was elk hunting and took a shot up at timberline. I was cold and could not feel real good. As I hiked up mountain I saw blood dripping in snow, hah 340 tatoo.I have a 20 0z. wide trigger, with stop on a old comp. pistol of mine, I just like more on my hunting, because I get colder at times.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the 0??-340-tatoo.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Your picture makes me 'feel' cold.