Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Bronze Member

All I can add is there's a reason it's called a 'jewel'
They're very smooth and consistant.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Just bought my first and love it. I like that it is totally adjustable and no matter where you set it to you can get that crisp break and no travel. Unless you want lots of travel because you can adjust that in too. Well worth the money I believe.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

factory triggers are like your old lady wearing a pair of old long john's and a jewell is like a silk g string. Which one do you prefer?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Re: Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

A gunsmith installed this trigger in my 6.5-.284 about 1 year ago. Worked fine until one day the safety stopped in the middle flip to fire and gun goes off. Cleaned with lighter fluid and compressed air. Got safety to with but flipping to fire and pin would fall. Adjusted with tension on all screws same thing. Called Jewell and they said send it back. 15.00 spent. Three weeks later still no word from Jewell. Called and the guy said its here...looks like he is done with it. That will be 25.00 for shipping and the work. Gave them my credit card #. I was mad that it was their defect and I had to pay. Five days later got trigger back with a receipt and they had charged me $40.00. Save yourself time and money and get a better trigger from Basix.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
factory triggers are like your old lady wearing a pair of old long john's and a jewell is like a silk g string. Which one do you prefer?
I would prefer the long johns on the OLD lady.

G-string on a young lady
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

You seem to be focused on the price tag.

In that context, a $200 trigger on a $500 rifle doesn't make sense.

Once you've used one, you will likely admit that they are better, smoother, crisper, easier to adjust, and more consistent.

Perhaps not enough in your situation to justify the extra price given that a tuned factory trigger, Timney, etc can be pretty nice.

However, on a fine custom setup the price tag becomes inconsequential. So, you might as well go with the best and not look back.

-- richard
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytemanPA View Post
My attempt at describing a Jewell....

With a factory trigger you get a serious yank going on, and then all the sudden a bang. Or yank followed by drag, followed by bang.

With a lightened/adjusted but not polished trigger you get less pull and sometimes some funky vibrations coming back during the travel before the bang.

With a tuned/polished factory trigger you usually get a lighter pull, then some small amount of travel felt at a constant pull, although smooth, and then a bang.

With the Jewell you locate the trigger with your fingertip, slowly increase the compression of the meat of your finger, and a bang.

I tried my first Jewell trigger 3 years ago. I have bought three since.

Word of caution: If you start shooting Jewells and then go back to a factory trigger. You end up running out of breath once or twice trying to shoot it, and may even check the safety once or twice before you actually get the first round sent.

wow you nailed the experience I had perfect. I set my factory rem to 2.5 lbs was quite happy with it, then had a custom built with a jewell. Now I go back to my factory rifle with the trigger job I always run out of breath and the creep feels like im pulling an anvil across a metal table waiting for it to fall, compared to the jewell.( slight exageration but you get the point) needless to say my other guns are getting jewell's when I can afford them.