Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Bronze Member

Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

Can you guys help me understand why Jewell triggers are worth paying $200+ for? What can I expect out of them that make them "better" than, say, a tuned factory trigger on a Sendero? I just don't get why spending this kind of money on an after market trigger is such a popular thing... what am I missing by not having one?

Starkville, MS
Old 03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Once you use one, you will understand. They are awesome triggers and worth every penny IMO. They will improve your accuracy because of the crisp trigger pull. My Jewel triggers are set at 2oz, and I love them. Once you use a Jewel Trigger, you will never want to use any other trigger again.

W.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

I agree that Jewells are very nice and worth the money. They are also very reliable and safe at incredibly low settings(something rare in factory).

My favorite trigger(better than Jewell IMO) is the Anschutz 5018 two stage(~$350).
And I hear Grunigs are even better still(but run ~$485)

It's like really good glass. Once you've had it, there is no going backwards.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

My attempt at describing a Jewell....

With a factory trigger you get a serious yank going on, and then all the sudden a bang. Or yank followed by drag, followed by bang.

With a lightened/adjusted but not polished trigger you get less pull and sometimes some funky vibrations coming back during the travel before the bang.

With a tuned/polished factory trigger you usually get a lighter pull, then some small amount of travel felt at a constant pull, although smooth, and then a bang.

With the Jewell you locate the trigger with your fingertip, slowly increase the compression of the meat of your finger, and a bang.

I tried my first Jewell trigger 3 years ago. I have bought three since.

Word of caution: If you start shooting Jewells and then go back to a factory trigger. You end up running out of breath once or twice trying to shoot it, and may even check the safety once or twice before you actually get the first round sent.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Jewell Triggers

I agree with all of the above post although I have never used a Anschutz 5018 or a Grunigs. About eight years ago I had a problem with my factory trigger. I had known about Jewell Triggers, but had never shot with one. I had my factory trigger replaced with a Jewell and I have never looked back. Every gun in my gun safe now has a Jewell installed. Just my opinion.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

i have jewell, shilen and timney they all are nice but for an additional 100 there is no comparision. i have my jewell triggers set on 1lb for my hunting rifle, my match guns are set to 2 oz. they take some getting used to at 2 oz but when you get used to it they are sweet. thats my opinion. besides that try one if you dont like it sell it you will only loose 20 dallors or so. what else n this sport only costs you htis much to try.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM

the only trigger

You will under stand once you try a Jewel the only proplem is it will cost you a lot of well spent money putting Jewels on your other rifles. And you will like it. Will make abetter shooter out of you.