Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Jewell triggers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jewell triggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaddog View Post
I know everyone likes these triggers. However I have a friend who took his off and sold it bcause he had problems with it when it got a little bit of dirt or dust in it. Is this a common problem, or did he just have a weird one?
A trigger is a precision piece of equipment and any good trigger will give you problems
if not kept clean especially a trigger with a very light pull.

The military triggers are two stage and have a trigger pull of 6+ pounds for just this
condition (Dirt and grime)to prevent a malfunction at the worst of times.

I am a big fan of Jewell triggers and of other well made brands but you have to keep them
clean if you want to set it light because one piece of grit under the sear and it will become
unpredictable.

There is a trick if you live in a dusty environment to minimize this.-- Take a piece of very soft
foam and cut a strip a little larger than the trigger guard slot and and only about 1/4' thick
and using a razor blade split the foam down the middle in the center about 1/2'' long and
slip it over the trigger and down in the slot . make sure that the foam is soft enough not
to interfere with the operation of the trigger.

There could have been a problem with the trigger even though it was a jewell , but if it was
dirty it is not the triggers fault.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jewell triggers

I have only messed with one Jewel and it had a problem of intermitant creep any time we tried to get it under 1 1/2 pounds. The new rifle I'm building I am running a Rifle Basix and it is very crisp and repeatable at 10 ounces.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.