Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Jewell trigger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

Jewell trigger?

Hello Everyone,
Are there, and if so what are the draw backs to installing a Jewell trigger on a hunting rifle. I notice a lot of custom gun makers offer their BR or varmit rifles with Jewell triggers but when it comes to the hunting rifles it is usally a Rifle Basix, Timney, or Shilen. Is there a reason for this like a dependability problem with the Jewell or is it that most people do not want to spend the money to put a Jewell on their hunting rifle? I am looking for a top of the line stainless trigger.

Thanks for any input,
radunn
Old 01-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Re: Jewell trigger?

I hunt with a Jewell trigger. It is an exellent trigger and I have not had a problum with it.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Gold Member

I dont think youll find any dependability problems with the jewell hvr.Its adjustable from "way too light to be on a field gun" to 4.5 lbs.I sent two to borden to have installed on the actions from him and will soon have another on my sendero.That being said,there is nothing wrong with the other triggers you list and all of them have probably been used on everything from some kind of competition gun to big game rifles.For me,I guess I go with jewell for the confidence factor.If you have something on your gun you feel you dont have confidence in,it shouldnt be there.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Hi i have fitted 2 Rifle Basix triggers for customers and can get a better feeling trigger out of doing a trigger job to their existing rem triggers i will never own one. I have a few Jewels now and will buy no other rem style trigger i have a HVR set to 6 oz with a bottom safety for my 338WBX as it will be sleved and also have a detachable mag i want to have better bedding surfaces so not having to cut out for the top safety is a plus. I also have a 3 position Gentry Safety going on the rifle the trigger safety is just for added security. The beauty of the Jewell is you can order it direct fron Jewell and have it pre set at the factoru to your desired trigger weight and they are almost perfect when placed onto any action.

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

I hunt with the Jewell trigger set to 24oz (1-1/4 pound) and I have no problems with any of the rifles that I have them installed in.

I installed all 4 triggers that I have purchased myself. Install in a 700 action is pretty simple.

I bought my first two triggers from Midway. I was talking to a friend of mine and he wondered why I mail ordered them when Jewell is just down the road Sure enough... Jewell Triggers is about an hours drive from my house. I went for a visit today and picked up two triggers for a 700 short action. They set my triggers for me while I waited. I had a good conversation with one of the employees as he adjusted my triggers for me. Unfortunately the owner was out when I showed up but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and not having to wait for UPS
Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Jewel triggers are precision instruments, and as such do not react well with dirt and grime. I can only presume that the reason some smiths may steer away from them for "Hunting" rifles is that one, they are more expensive, and two that the client may be cleaning from the muzzle and would get solvent, oil and such into the trigger and that coupled with never disassembling the rifle to clean the trigger WILL eventually result in a malfunction.
Jewel recommends no lubrication and clean by flushing with lighter fluid.
Dave
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
Jewel triggers are precision instruments, and as such do not react well with dirt and grime. I can only presume that the reason some smiths may steer away from them for "Hunting" rifles is that one, they are more expensive, and two that the client may be cleaning from the muzzle and would get solvent, oil and such into the trigger and that coupled with never disassembling the rifle to clean the trigger WILL eventually result in a malfunction.
Jewel recommends no lubrication and clean by flushing with lighter fluid.
Dave
I have a safe full of rifles with the Jewell and if you follow the directions from Jewell you will not have problems-----at least I never have.