Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

jewell trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

jewell trigger

I have a sendero 7rem mag that I just dont like the trigger on and I've read that thr jewell is the best.So does anyone have first hand knowlage? Where the cheapest place to buy one?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: jewell trigger

...can tell you firsthand, you'll never regret a Jewell trigger... Bruno's is among the cheapest place to buy that I know of, but would be happy if someone knows another place cheaper... should be slightly above $200, if you get the safety and bolt release... this should be standard equipment on any Rem you're serious about accuracy with... of course, some will say "save your money", the Rem can be adjusted etc... I'll let you wrestle with that one... hope this helps...Larry
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

I have one it worked great for about a year 2oz. great while it worked I got to send it back maybe they'll make it up?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

I have installed hundreds of Jewels. With that said they belong on target rifles not hunting rifles. They are made so well and to very tight tolerances that I have seen them fail many times with the slightest bit of dirt from real world hunting situations. I can easily get a factory Rem trigger down to 1 1/2 lbs which is lighter than most people like for hunting rifles.
The Jewell will run about $200 and a good trigger job $50.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

I don't dispute Mr. Mathewes experiences, but between myself, family and friends we have four rifles with Jewell triggers that are used every year deer and elk hunting - not one instance of failure. We all love the triggers. On the other hand, I have personally had a Remington trigger fail once while attempting to shoot a spike elk. All of this is antidotal, so take it for what it is worth, but in my experience the Jewell triggers are real gems.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

You can split the difference with a Rifle Basix. This is the trigger that Dave Gentry recommends with his safety conversion. I've used several and had good luck. Different models and weights for different uses. Brownell carries them.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

Jewell makes one of the best triggers in this world. I would not want it to be under a 2 1/2lbs pull for safety sake for hunting. If you will follow the manufactors recommandations and clean with lighter fluid, I've never had a problem with Mr. Jewell's triggers. Just do not take it apart to clean, just juice from the openings and let set to dry. Lester Bruno does have good prices on Jewell triggers. I warn you that the use of a Jewell trigger will spoil you!