Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

J-P muzzle break question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

J-P muzzle break question

I bought a used one of these at a gun show a while back it is the style that looks like a piece of pipe turned sideways i put it on my 300 ultra last night and it really helped the recoil a bunch but the concusion is almost unbearable do regular shaped muzzle breaks give off as much concusion as this model ?

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BL-25P
Old 04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
SPONSOR

Re: J-P muzzle break question

Bill Bailey has one of these on his 300 RUM and it works great. ONly problem is that it doesnt fit in gun cases nearly as good as the Holland style and it does put out a hell of a concussion.

YOu might try the Holland style breaks, they are all I will use now. Whatever you choose if you do any prone shooting pick something that is not ported on the bottom otherwise you will be wearing whatever earth you are laying on

good luck
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 04-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Bronze Member

Brian;
Every muzzle brake that I have ever been around is loud and the larger the gun they reside on, the more offensive the blast. They do work though, and I have brakes on all of my rifles 300 MAG and larger. Because they do what they are designed to do, I can enjoy shooting one of these rifles off of a bench for a day. Just make sure you employe very good hearing protection when using a rifle with a brake, and NEVER, NEVER use the brake without guarding your ears. I hunt with the brake removed.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
SPONSOR

The one you have works very well but like Lerch said, it kinda gets in the way @ times. I don't think it's blast is any worse than any other brake. You can feel them all on your face!! Much better to feel the blast on your face than the kick on your shoulder though. Just keep shooting it, you'll get used to the concusion.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

I have had many kind of breaks and the JP works the best. It just has more surface to vent the gases. The concussion isn't bad for the shooter, just the guy on the benches beside you. I think they work great. My thought are if tank style breaks didn't work good why are they are so many tanks and 50 BMG's. If you don't like that JP send it my way
Old 04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

i like the brake its works great but i have never had one before and just was not used to it hitting me in the face i shot the gun alot today and had better results than ever so i guess i got used to the percusion and it seems like it kicks less than my 25-06 thanks for the info guys
Old 04-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

The blast realy isin't that bad at all , just stand about 6ft off to the side , anywhere in the 3-5o'clock or
9-7o'clock and and you'll see just how pleasant the muzzel blast is when you at the 6o'clock position , it puts it all into prespective
I instaled a JP Benni Cooley style brake on my dads 300RUM and it wasn't as bad as the big JP brake but I'm sure it wasen't as effective. it worked great though , better than a Vias