Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Its finally time!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Its finally time!!!

LB,

I will be totally honest with you and say that I have never cut a KP barrel but I have heard quite a bit about them and have not heard anything negative.

If I were building a customer an extreme accruacy rifle I would first and foremost recommend a Lilja but there are others on the market that are very quality barrels as well so if the customer has a brand of barrel they want to use, I am more then willing to fit it up for them.

I fit and chamber them all the same no matter if its a $450 Lilja blank or a $80 A&B blank, to match specs.

I must tell you I do not have physical experience with the KP barrels.

If they are quality blanks, I will make you a fine shooting rifle with one.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

The K-P barrels shoot extremely well.In 50bmg they hold every record there is to hold and Ken and Peggy Johnson thats the K-P are very active in the FCSA (fifty caliber shooters association)shoots.They are located in Raton,New Mexico and have built some outstanding barrels.Bob Crone of 1000 yard and F-Class world team fame is using them very sucessfully.The Lilja barrels shoot great but tend to wear out a little faster in my experience.The K-P turn-around time can be frustrating from time to time but they have excellent customer service if a problem is encountered.Dan on the other hand has super reliable estimates on when your barrel will ship but his customer skills when its his problem are dead last.I ordered up a 1.750 X 36 inch 30cal SS tube from him and it came marked 10 twist 1.750X36 SS Straight plus had my name on it.The barrel was 1.660 at its largest dimension then tapered to 1.580 the 320 grit finish looked like a spiral staircase and it cost me $420 Two calls to Dan and all i got was "well the bore is straight" not what i wanted to hear after buying a $400 barrel block for a 1.750 barrel.I'm sure after the message i left on his phone Dan will remember me.
Lynn
Old 08-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lynn,

Being a member of the FCSA is where I have heard all the good things about the K-P barrels.

Skip Talbot is a big supporter of these barrels and if you know anything about this fine fellow, you know these barrels must shoot.

I am sorry to hear about your problems with Dan Lilja. I have ordered and fitted dozens of his barrels without a single problem ever.

Still his shop is still run by human power so there is always the possibility of error.

Knock-on-wood, I have not had a problem with him ever so I will continue to use his barrels and support a local supplier as we all should.

I agree that for +$400 you should get exactly what you ordered, no excuse for that, I am just suprised Dan let a barrel like that out of his shop.

All of the Lilja barrels I have ordered have been very fine finished inside and out. In fact, if the customer wants a matte finished barrel, I have bead blasted them as they come and they turn out great.

From what I have heard with the K-P barrels though, you are correct, they are good shooters at least in the 50 cal versions. Have not heard anything about the conventional bore sizes.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com