Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Its finally time!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Its finally time!!!

Well, yesterday the guy in the brown suit dropped off a heavy skinny long package for me at the shop and I couldn't wait to get a look at what was inside.

Sure enough after a minute of two I was holding a 34" stainless, fluted Lilja barrel blank of .338" bore with a 10" twist. IT is a straight cylinder 1.350" diameter barrel.

I now have all the componants to build my rifle. Now I just have to get my customers jobs finished so that I can build my new extreme range hammer.

The other componants of the rifle are a printed M700 action which I have already opened the bolt face up for the 338 Kahn round and installed a Tubbs Sako style extractor.

The action has also been converted to single shot with the permanent installation of a solid floor plate which matches the action perfectly. If I were using the action to bed on this would dramatically increase the bedding area of the 700 action.

THe stock is a Tooley 1000 yard BR in Carolina Sunset Flame(Marbled starting at the forend, blue, then violet and then very deep purple on the butt stock.

I will be using a 10" barrel bedding V-block of my own design.

The round itself, the 338 Kahn is basically a 338-378 Wby with a conventional 35 degree shoulder which has been moved slightly forward.

For starters I will use a Burris one piece base with a set of Burris Signature 30mm rings to carry the 6-24 Burris Black Diamond for the time being. This scope has taken my 50 BMG well past 1000 yards accurately so it will do fine until I get a Nightforce in for next season.

Anyway, from talking with Dan Lilja who uses teh standard 338-378 with the 300 gr SIerra MK bullets, we think I will be getting in the 3100-3150 fps range with max loads. In all honestly anything from 3050 to 3100 fps will be fine with me as long as the accuracy is there.

Well, I hope to get started on this rifle this weekend perhaps. When I get her finished I will report on her performance.

Good Shooting!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Its finally time!!!

Can't wait to see it. Cant wait to see the targets.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:41 AM

Fiftydriver,
Sounds like you have the makings for something impressive! Don't forget those pics when you get it built! Good shootin'
Old 07-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

i want to see that stock!!

pics???

JB [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

50driver--if you email me the pic, i'll post it for you.

JB

email addy is:

<----my LRH ID @yahoo.com
Old 07-30-2004, 01:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jb1000BR,

Will do, I will take some photos this weekend and get them e-mailed to you so that you can post them.

Thanks,

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 07-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

JB