Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member
I was talking with Doc Eddie the other day, wed I believe. He said you were coming over to give that thing a test go.

He mentioned that you were going to do the test firing due to his shoulder being something or other. Either he was whining or he had better uses for the shoulder.

50 yds, eh? You gotta be nutz

It sure does sound like I good piece of work. Between you and Ian you have the "Bark of the swamp" award pretty much sewed up.;)
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!

Unread 03-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member

The load for the test was 5 rounds at 70gr of VARGET with CCI 250, virgin Winchester brass and 500 Hornady soft point round nose then 5 rounds bumped to 73gr of VARGET. I have some Barnes 450 TSX to test but I'll wait a while to give them a go, I want practice with the Hornady 500's and full power loads to work on my follow-up shot speed.

Tyler Kemp

That looks a fair bit worse than my arm I say. My bruise (hematoma) is coming along nicely and filling in well but I don't think it will be anything as glorious as the one in your picture. I've also got a bit of an advantage in having a goodly layer of recoil pad evenly distributed over my entire body, I figure about 50lbs worth at least. Maybe later today I'll update my shoulder condition with a new picture. The entire right side of my torso and my back have a bit of an ache, goes clear up into my neck.

My wife didn't fall for the sympathy card I played, no beer and no extra porridge in my bowl at supper. I didn't even get to eat any of the Peeps we stashed around the house for my granddaughter on her Easter egg hunt.

Ed hurt his shoulder a while back, I don't recall how but he still has some minor trouble with it. He made the correct decision in not shooting the rifle as I don't believe it would have helped him heal up faster. Ed is a really good guy, I have a hell of a good time over at his shop.

50 yards. I assume you are referring to the Brown bear hunt characteristics.

Here is what I've been told about the method of hunt.

We (my wife and I) will be based on a ~65ft converted fishing boat hunting Chichagof Island in South East Alaska for the 10 day hunt. During the day we will find and check active salmon streams then in the late afternoon the outfitter and I will hunt these same streams. The method of hunt is walking upstream in the salmon stream until we either find a suitable bear or a likely spot to wait for a bears. We will be in chest waders standing directly in the stream with salmon bumping into us as they move about (as I'm told). If we don't shoot a decent bear we stay in the stream (either stalking upstream or hunkered down) until dark at which time we turn on our head lamps and walk back down stream to the skiff for the ride back to the big boat.
In the outfitter's brochure there are a few accounts of hunters shooting their brown bear, most are close in this hunt method but some as close as 15 yards. (My wife said she will stay on the big boat when we go to hunt, said she would read... probably reading my life insurance papers I say.)

You used a term I am completely unfamiliar with and of course need to know the meaning and origin (little to no help from Google on my search).
What is meant by "Bark of the swamp" and could you please discuss the origin of this phrase? Even the etymology search turns up very little.
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member
Damn! Dave I told you to put that recoil pad on your bicep and not your shoulder. Tyler's bruise is a lot more "Hematoma-erer" than yours.
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member
Good Morning Ed.

My hematoma is headed onto my bicep too but I'm afraid it will still pale in comparison to Tyler's whopper. Maybe next time I'll give a try at a 20 round burst and try a "he-man" groin hold as a finisher (with pictures as proof)!
Unread 03-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Silver Member
Looks like your rifle is ready for the task. I don't know what yourguide looks like but I think its time to start doing wind sprints. At 15 yards if all else fails I hope you can out run your guide:eek:
"Fast is fine accurate is final"
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Alas, I wish that nasty bruising was mine, but it was from someone shooting a 45-120 with a steel buttplate. Being a youngster my arms are much more toned.
Unread 03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

You have PEEPS:eek: I looked all over town for the last two days and found no PEEPS:mad:

Holey crap! Chest deep in water and bear at up to 50 yds. Well, ya sure ain't gonna run

However, w/50# extra you may only be knee deep

For this hunt, if it were me I'd not dream really big. One bear at a time would be enough.

From the following you have enough gun. Leave the bow at home

YouTube - Bear Killed While Charging Hunter
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!