Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

Shooter was only recently released so I haven"t had the time to put it through any kind of practical testing. Ballistic FTE has been out for a few years and I have used it quite extensively, not only for actual field use, but also for load development and records for over a dozen different rifles. Also FTE has demonstrated frequent updates software refinements and new bullet and ammo additions. Some quick comparisons:

If you just want to use it as a basic ballistic calculator, they are qiuite similiar. FTE can do just about everything Shooter can do, and a lot more. Both can be set up to operate in an easy to use basic mode.

FTE has a slick feature of being able to line the I phone on an angled target and it will automatically correct the trajectories for cosine. It works fast and accurately. If Shooter has this capability, I have't been able to find it.

FTE has the ability to produce graphs of your loads trajectory, wind drift, energy, that are well designed. I don't use this much.

FTE has a range log that can replicate your actual targets graphically, complete with cold bore shot info, conditions, groups size, etc. I do use this, it's slick.

Usability, is purely a personal preference and conditioned effect. After using either for an hour, you will be hard pressed to perceive a difference between the two in "ease of use" given you are comparing similar functions.

I believe that these programs will put the ballistic PDA's out of business at least in the consumer market.

Just some thoughts.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post

FTE has a slick feature of being able to line the I phone on an angled target and it will automatically correct the trajectories for cosine. It works fast and accurately. If Shooter has this capability, I have't been able to find it.
On Shooter after clicking the calculate button select the solution tab. Next click the curved arrow at the top now the Look angle acquisition button.

James
Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
On Shooter after clicking the calculate button select the solution tab. Next click the curved arrow at the top now the Look angle acquisition button.

James
Thanks James

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Gold Member

I did find one minor lack in Shooter. It will only take a BC down to .1 .
Not a big thing but it's there.
If you start adding multiple bc's additional boxes appear. So it will take
more than two, I don't know how many.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I did find one minor lack in Shooter. It will only take a BC down to .1 .
Hmmmm, I wonder about that. Though I am more comfortable with more decimal places I haven't taken the time calculate the difference between x.1 and x.5.

Maybe I can't even dope well enough to measure a 0.1 difference. But I better darn learn....

When developing drop charts for the 270 AM and 338 RUM I used two decimal places for bc and seemed to 'think' I was doing well.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Gold Member

Roy, I am talking about bullet BC. Lots of .223 and .224 light bullets have less than
.1 bc.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Roy, I am talking about bullet BC. Lots of .223 and .224 light bullets have less than
.1 bc.
I'm talking bc also but who in this life would want to shoot something with that low of a be. That low of a bc would be good for less than 100 yds or so. I'd think.

So what you are saying is that Shooter will handle a 0.123 bc but nothing less than 0.1?

Somehow, which is becoming more frequent, I shifted the decimal place in my noggin to really mess up my understanding of your post. I think I need a nap.