Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

FTE will pic up weather with a iphone but not an ipod. Mute up here anyway, it's rare
to get a signal in the field in most situations. I downloaded the shooter app last night
and entered a few loads. Way simpler to use than FTE and cheaper. Does DA as well and
the numbers match my other software programs within a click or two. Only two entries
for multiple range bc instead of 4. I only have about 15 minutes playing around with it.
I do like the move speed and angle fields. Good for training even if you don't use it in
the field. It also has a way to populate the weather fields based on your location. Haven't
played with it yet.

Last edited by Loner; 11-17-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Of those 3 which ones offer the following features?

1. click value adjustment
2. output for sighting conditions vs current shooting conditions
3. Trajectory validation

Last edited by Scot E; 11-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

I have all 3 on an ipod. I still rank Bulletflight first but only because Shooter crashes whenever I back out to the Shooter screen after calculating a solution. Shooter is worth the $10 if only to have Bryan Litz G7 BCs handy for VLD bullets. Ballistic FTE is too big of a pain to get set up to use, I seriously doubt that I will ever use it in the field. All three will retrieve current environmental data if you are using it on an iphone or have a wifi connection(not likely in a hunting area). Both Bulletflight and Shooter will give you shot angle, don't recall if FTE does or not.

James
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

I tried a couple on the iPod. Neither passed my test. Too inconvenient and heavy towards manufacturers offerings. All I want are the loads and data for the rifles I shoot. The rest is busy fluff and not necessary for field use.

I just downloaded Shooter and have high expectations though I won't even fire it up until next spring.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
Of those 3 which ones offer the following features?

1. click value adjustment
2. output for sighting conditions vs current shooting conditions
3. Trajectory compensation
Not sure what you mean by Trajectory compensation. FTE certainly does zero weather and click value, it allows a custom click value if you need it. I use .23877 for 1/4 iphy
clicks, as the custom screen is based on moa. It will give straight 1 iphy values from the
choices. I've swapped back and forth between both. Long range with big dial ups the
1 iphy is easiest I guess.

Same with Shooter, it has zero weather. It's click values have about 10 or eleven choices whether you are in moa mils or iphy. No custom one, but in my case it's actually better than
what I did in FTE.

Last edited by Loner; 11-17-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Not sure what you mean by Trajectory compensation. FTE certainly does zero weather and click value, it allows a custom click value if you need it. I use .23877 for 1/4 iphy
clicks, as the custom screen is based on moa. It will give straight 1 iphy values from the
choices. I've swapped back and forth between both. Long range with big dial ups the
1 iphy is easiest I guess.

Same with Shooter, it has zero weather. It's click values have about 10 or eleven choices whether you are in moa mils or iphy. No custom one, but in my case it's actually better than
what I did in FTE.
Sorry, meant trajectory validation.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Gold Member

They both give you a drop and wind chart. They also both have the heads up dialing
for distance and wind. FTE gives you trajectory graphs as well, and a ballistics graph
wind drift graph and trajectory by altitude and trajectory by angle. I'm not versed in
putting any of the graphs to use myself.