Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

INTRODUCING Accubond Long Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: INTRODUCING Accubond Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
They will serve some guys well.
This is true. We all need something different and these will fit into the mix somewhere.
I read somewhere where someone said "Nosler is going to take the long range market by storm" Well, I think that could be a little bit of a hastey statement propelled by excitment of their favotite bullet maker finally playing catch up inthe LR market.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
So you're saying the original accubond needs 2200'sec for expansion? That's not what my experience has been.
Please share your experience, along with the specific accubond models, how impact velocity was determined and how expansion was verified.

I'd have to review the available data, but I do not recall ever seeing a convincing test of expansion thresholds for the accubond, but most convincing tests I've seen fail to confirm an expansion threshold as low as claimed by the manufacturer.

To me, gelatin is a more convincing test than anecdotal field observations. A bullet that fails to expand in soft tissue can perform quite well if it happens to hit bone. I've seen bullets expand on rib hits that fail to expand in soft tissue. A bullet that fails to expand in soft tissue can also create a satisfactory wound if it happens to tumble. But tumbling and hitting bone are not nearly as reliable as expansion for ensuring bullet performance. Sure, a sufficient quantity of field observations can establish a reliable expansion limit, but a few shots into gelatin are probably a more accurate predictor of the case where the bullet only hits soft tissue.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The 2 most defining ones for me was the 150 grain AB. One on a deer at 350 yards. Muzzle velocity was 2705 fps. Impact velocity while not verified should have been around 2050.

The other wad a dall sheep at 425. Impact shoul have been 1950.

The bullet was recovered from the deer. No it was not measured but looked textbook.

The bullet from the ram was not recovered but the exit hole was bigger than a US quarter.

Now these were above advertised velocities but well under 2100-2200fps.

The other was a bull moose with the 200 grain AB. 650 yards. Impact predicted at 2000fps. No recovered bullets but again good sized expanded holes on exit.

Again, above published but under 2100-2200.

Almost forgot.... These were all 30 cal.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD338 View Post
Once the initial line of ALR bullets is out, they will consider others. I would think the .338 300 gr ALR with a BC of .8 would be in the cards.

JD338
That would be great! I just hope it happens.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
I think in smaller calibers like the 6.5 the 1300 limit threshold will be big.

Scot E.
Couldn't agree more! That lower limit would extend the reliable expansion range in a 260 from 980 yards to about 1240 if you go off the 1600 fps minimum of the Berger's compared to these. Now having said that, the energy is quite low, but I would think it would still be enough for something like an antelope.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The 2 most defining ones for me was the 150 grain AB. One on a deer at 350 yards. Muzzle velocity was 2705 fps. Impact velocity while not verified should have been around 2050.

The other wad a dall sheep at 425. Impact shoul have been 1950.

The bullet was recovered from the deer. No it was not measured but looked textbook.

The bullet from the ram was not recovered but the exit hole was bigger than a US quarter.

Now these were above advertised velocities but well under 2100-2200fps.

The other was a bull moose with the 200 grain AB. 650 yards. Impact predicted at 2000fps. No recovered bullets but again good sized expanded holes on exit.

Again, above published but under 2100-2200.

Almost forgot.... These were all 30 cal.
Thanks for share these experiences. It may be that the Accubonds have an expansion threshold closer to their advertised claims than other bullets.

An impact velocity of 2050 fps on the deer suggests an elevation near 1500 feet. If the elevation was higher, then the impact velocity was likely higher also.

An impact velocity of 1950 on the sheep at 425 yards suggests an elevation near 3000 feet. If the elevation was higher, then the impact velocity was likely higher also.

Of course, if one has actually measured the BC and muzzle velocity in a given rifle and also has the ambient measurements for pressure, humidity, and temperature (from a Kestrel, for example), then one can compute impact velocities more accurately than using published BC numbers and standard conditions at a given altitude. There is much less uncertainty with a chronograph a few feet in front of a block of gelatin.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

I've recovered a 140gr Accubond from a 270wsm after smoking through the lungs of a mule deer buck, impact velocity around 2500fps and I found the bullet in the dirt and it was not opened to the point that the tip was curling around except for the side that hit a rock, basically the tip had just shoved it open but it was to hard to mushroom in the animal. I won't use them under 2200 fps impact velocity.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"