Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

INTRODUCING Accubond Long Range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: INTRODUCING Accubond Long Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
POP

Why the light weight 6.5? Is it geared more towards the Grendel crowd? Any plans for a 140g?

I asked the same question and the reply I got was " it's in the works",
so hopefully be what...2015 it will be available.

gary
Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

I guess I come at the bonded bullet issue from a different angle. When my hunting occured in the pacific northwest my bullets were primarily a-max's or smk's, and ballistic tips for the little critters and volume shooting.

As I transitioned back up to alaska after college my hunting territory changed. I still mostly hunt birds and fur bearers, with the occasional small game animal. The difference for me now is that really large brown things seem to be in a lot of the places I hunted this year. They are a variable that does not exist in any real number in or-wa-id. When we hunted ducks we saw bears, when we went alpine for goats, we saw bears. When we hunted ridges and creek bottoms for deer, we saw bears. Actually our hunting trip down the eastside we saw more bears than deer.

Never have I had a negative interaction with a bear resulting in the need of deadly force. (several on hunts as a youth, but none since adulthood) But thats not to say that there were several times where there were some tense moments.

When I hunt with the 7mm and 270 cal rigs, A heavy for caliber bonded bullet gives me a litte extra wiggle room in two areas. If I jump a big bull moose next year and have to break a shoulder blade I'd prefer a bonded bullet. If while were gutting a critter a bear comes to the dinner bell, I'd prefer a bonded bullet.

The 175 7mm accubond with a bc even 15% off from projected gives me a bullet weight, and b.c. that when combined with the 7 rum gives me tremendous versatility. The ability to do my beloved long rangeing, and still use it close.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

comfisherman: Your point crosses my mind even though I usually don't hunt where there are big bears. If I were on Kodiak I think I'd need at least that 210 long range Accubond in 308. But the 175 would beat a 180 Berger up close on a big bear in my mind.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Just thinking outloud here. OK, so to utilize the BC of the 30 cal at .730 it is obvious they are indeed intended for distances past 800 yards. Is that a safe statement? I have taken game with my 300 win to 1285 this season with a 215 Berger. The results and great exit hole made me plenty happy. Do most of you feel that a bonded bullet will produce a good exit hole past 1000 yards?

Jeff
I would say you wouldn't see anything better than your success with the 215's this year. But I have seen many bergers with no exit at all, especially in the mid weight for caliber class of bullets and I do think a bonded bullet would help in those cases. Even more so I think it would help them not to blow up prematurely. Again this seems to be more of a mid weight bullet issue and not with the heavy stuff you shoot.

It really is too early to tell but it will be exciting to see how these perform as it will be just another bit of info we can use to figure out the ultimate LR bullet.

Scot E.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

I think elkaholic has already developed the ultimate LR hunting bullet , his hold together like a bonded bullet at high velocity but fragment at low velocity down to 1300 fps.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I think elkaholic has already developed the ultimate LR hunting bullet , his hold together like a bonded bullet at high velocity but fragment at low velocity down to 1300 fps.
I completely agree with that! That is why I like the tipped bonded concept!

Scot E.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

And they have a high BC too! I think his .308 208 grainer has a BC of around .688?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755